cold weather effect on batterys

I can unhook my battery once the truck is running, turn my AC on full blast, my high beams on, and pretty much do everything besides crank the system.

Sounds like running the car to me.

You do relaize that alts don't have a flat charging curve, they ripple charge....and by doing that your putting alot of strees on that alt....

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

You do relaize that alts don't have a flat charging curve, they ripple charge....and by doing that your putting alot of strees on that alt....

I said I can do it, doesnt mean I start my truck up everyday, unhook the battery and go cruise around town.

I got 4 batts in the truck now, and a HO alt, Im not worried about my alt.

Im still trying to figure out how, if Im beating on my system, I drain the batts down, because I dont have enough alt to run the power, so the batts have a low charge, then I turn the system down, and my alt isnt supposed to charge my batteries.

You guys make no sense at all.

Im well aware they dont have a flat charging curve, lets say my alt does 160amps at idle, it takes roughly 60amps to run the truck, so where does the other 100 amps go?

100 amps into a battery bank is roughly 25amps per battery of charging time, so that isnt a trickle charge, sounds like a hot charge to me.

Oh wait, I used the term charge, 25amp "maintain".

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

I said I can do it, doesnt mean I start my truck up everyday, unhook the battery and go cruise around town.

Im still trying to figure out how, if Im beating on my system, I drain the batts down, because I dont have enough alt to run the power, so the batts have a low charge, then I turn the system down, and my alt isnt supposed to charge my batteries.

Im well aware they dont have a flat charging curve, lets say my alt does 160amps at idle, it takes roughly 60amps to run the truck, so where does the other 100 amps go?

100 amps into a battery bank is roughly 25amps per battery of charging time, so that isnt a trickle charge, sounds like a hot charge to me.

I dont think you quite grasp what hes saying...

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

you dont understand what anyone is trying to say...stop talking please.

the alt doesnt output 100% power all the time, that would be stupid, unless your playing your system. the rest of that extra amperage that isnt being used is backup power for lets say, A/C, wipers, heat, defroster, a winch, air compressor, or an audio system.

batts in a car are normally maintained with a 10amp charge for each batt...now again, stop talking, you dont know what your talking about.

when your voltage goes down your stressing the electrical system. the lower the car voltage is, the more current the item that is being powered is trying to take, thus lowering the voltage further until an equilibrium is reached.

Current = Power divided by Voltage.

Edited by Kranny

I use to have problems where my battery would often die if i leave it in the cold for too long (was a stock battery).

Ever since i've put a yellow top under the hood, my problems are gone =]

I see 14.5-14.6V everytime I start my car. But I've noticed the voltage dropping to 13.8 or so with the music bumping.

But I do believe cold weather can affect batteries

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

yeah i think they do as well, i just had to get a replacement stock battery for an 08 accord from the dealership because my battery wouldn't and couldn't stay alive. I don't think its a bad alternator, but i noticed that in the summer the car would start up fine and as soon as it hit up around 20-30 degrees, the battery immediatly failed. i had the car sitting in the parking lot for 3 days though, so that may have been what caused it. But i'd had to jump start that battery 3 times after that day, so i went and got a new stock battery. I've been thinking about getting a yellowtop to replace the current battery under the hood. Any take on how well the yellowtops handle in cold weather?

• 3 weeks later...