DC Sound Lab

sick so you guys did pay attention in geometry after all.yeah ive played with some carbon before even jsut two layers is pretty unbreakable but it does flex,no flex here as we can see so i guess the only other "problem" to put to rest is the former to carbon pie glue joint.but man i bet these things wont be cheap but hopefully more cost effective than the DD composites. keep testing and rolling tape so we can really see whats up. take one from thor push it till it breaks and make it better then retest then maybe shes customer ready.cuz us americans do put a beating on stuff especially the nuckleheads we all know some of those guys,we would want any i told you so's start to fly around.

call it the carbon pie option.

how did it do in the box that it was in, in the first pic in the thread?

Carbon pie, I like that. :)

Team B2, Team Audiotechnix, Team Kicker, Team XS Power, Team Sundown, Team Maxxsonics, Team DD2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, S2, S3, S4, DB1) -1 DD 9510F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ .7 ohm strapped=154.2 headrest, 129.2 driveby-2 DD 9510F's + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=154.0 headrest-1 DD 9512F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=153.5 headrest, 131.1 Driveby

-2 DD 9512F + 2 B2 Zero1's @ .5 strapped= 157.0 headrest, 158.0 outlaw-1 Sundown SA-8 + 2 MB Quart 2000's=148.8 headrest, 150.6 outlaw

And for those of you who dont know that was used with a metal leg

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

I had no doubts that the cone material isn't strong.

The part that concerns me the most is the cone to former joint.

Free-air is grand and all, but how about a clamp meter and DMM so we can see some real power figures? Not just "oh, probably 4000 watts". I've had a lvl4xl in my possession and it would most definitely not take 4000 watts free-air (and before you ask, yes it had a beefed up suspension). I had it wired to 1 ohm on my zx2500 and I could take it to half of my normal burp volume, so at best I would say 1000 watts.

Put in a box in a real install and burp it with 4kw please. :)

You will see more tests dont you worry. This was just to get the ball rolling for now.

So lets say my 11k2d clips at 1000 watts, i ran these last year no clip at all. 4 amps 8 subs total power of 4000 watts, bassrace 161.8? I hate to say it but im good!!!

And for those of you who dont know that was used with a metal leg

No no that was my good leg i was beating it on. MY steel leg doesnt bend like that.

You will see more tests dont you worry. This was just to get the ball rolling for now.

So lets say my 11k2d clips at 1000 watts, i ran these last year no clip at all. 4 amps 8 subs total power of 4000 watts, bassrace 161.8? I hate to say it but im good!!!

No no that was my good leg i was beating it on. MY steel leg doesnt bend like that.

Lol, are you really comparing two completely different installs? So whatever sub setup you hook up to that amp, it'll always clip at the same volume and put out the same amount of power?

Put a clamp meter and a DMM on it and prove me wrong? You've wanted to prove me wrong this entire thread, so here's an easy opportunity.

Like I said, I had a brand new lvl4xl in my possession (I just reconed it) and there's absolutely, positively no way it would take 4kw free-air...period. Maybe you are doing something significantly different from me? Would be pretty crazy to see any sub take 4kw free-air and not even break a sweat (or any parts, haha).

A lighter cone isn't going to change that. Hell, it would probably make it worse since the moving mass is lighter, or is it? Depends on the additional weight from the longer former and whatever you guys are using to bond the former and cone.

Edited by tommyk90

Team B2, Team Audiotechnix, Team Kicker, Team XS Power, Team Sundown, Team Maxxsonics, Team DD2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, S2, S3, S4, DB1) -1 DD 9510F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ .7 ohm strapped=154.2 headrest, 129.2 driveby-2 DD 9510F's + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=154.0 headrest-1 DD 9512F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=153.5 headrest, 131.1 Driveby

-2 DD 9512F + 2 B2 Zero1's @ .5 strapped= 157.0 headrest, 158.0 outlaw-1 Sundown SA-8 + 2 MB Quart 2000's=148.8 headrest, 150.6 outlaw

dont know much about the history of flat cones....

but...has anyone ever tried a flange on the former? kinda like an aero port....the top of the former has a nice lip all the way around to be glued to the cone...just a thought...would def be more surface area to glue...but would have to be PERFECTLY centered...

i likes me some audio stuff...

dont know much about the history of flat cones....

but...has anyone ever tried a flange on the former? kinda like an aero port....the top of the former has a nice lip all the way around to be glued to the cone...just a thought...would def be more surface area to glue...but would have to be PERFECTLY centered...

It would increase the bonding surface area, sure, but there's still one problem: you're still only gluing the former to one side of the cone, which was the downfall of the one-piece, flat cones of the past.

Though the additional surface area would help that.

DC is supposedly doing something different. I'm interested to see how they are doing it, that's for sure.

Edited by tommyk90

thats why they should use a flange all molded one peice of carbon on the bottom side that could fit around or inside (which ever stronger) the former and tons of glueing area and the ability to fold the former to the inside of the flange and glue there like a conventinal cone but this would require a vacum molded bottom sandwhich plate and of course a bit more work which would probably extremely strong and a bit more aerodynamic on the back side of the pie but my guess is they been planning this out for a good bit and have most of the kinks worked out on paper but the real world will tell the true story which is why we build then test test and test.

Edited by windowtinter

Lol, are you really comparing two completely different installs? So whatever sub setup you hook up to that amp, it'll always clip at the same volume and put out the same amount of power?

Put a clamp meter and a DMM on it and prove me wrong? You've wanted to prove me wrong this entire thread, so here's an easy opportunity.

Like I said, I had a brand new lvl4xl in my possession (I just reconed it) and there's absolutely, positively no way it would take 4kw free-air...period. Maybe you are doing something significantly different from me? Would be pretty crazy to see any sub take 4kw free-air and not even break a sweat (or any parts, haha).

A lighter cone isn't going to change that. Hell, it would probably make it worse since the moving mass is lighter, or is it? Depends on the additional weight from the longer former and whatever you guys are using to bond the former and cone.

I have been trying to defend against your opinion on this idea, and seems DC in general. You came into this thread in attempt to prove this idea wrong, so i think you have that part backwards. All we are doing here is giving people a sneak peak. You will see clamped power tests along with SPL gains/ losses in due time. Just sit back and enjoy for the time being.

Interesting... n man thats a strong ass.. cone? lol I mean carbon pie.

Nice job on the vid tho, I believe itll work in due time.

Keep it up mayne

o and maybe next vid could be in a box?

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

I have been trying to defend against your opinion on this idea, and seems DC in general. You came into this thread in attempt to prove this idea wrong, so i think you have that part backwards. All we are doing here is giving people a sneak peak. You will see clamped power tests along with SPL gains/ losses in due time. Just sit back and enjoy for the time being.

Listen, I'm just trying to get clarifications on a lot of things.

I see a whole lot of speculation going on, and a lot of people talking about this thing like it's the greatest thing ever invented. I'm a little more skeptical.

Pardon me for asking some real questions.

You know how easy a clamp test would be. You probably have that sub set up in your garage right now. Throw a clamp meter around the positive speaker wire, DMM in the terminals. Would take all of 15 seconds and would only prove your claims.

Call me impatient if you must. :)

Edited by tommyk90