Second Skin Audio

Super strong box idea

Please help me end a discussion with my father and a friend of his. My dad's friend is an amazing woodworker. I have seen him do things that just didn't even seem possible. The problem though is that they keep telling me that they can make a stronger box then I can based on the info from this website. Basically the argument is that they feel a double walled box with dovetail joints would be stronger than any box and dowels/bracing. I argued that a long panel (over 40") would slop around like a wet noodle at high pressure but they seem to believe that if you split all sides over 24" and dovetail them it will be just as strong.

I'm not a woodworker, I also know that "strong" in construction is not the same as strong in car audio. I searched the forum for dovetail,buscuits etc and found only 1 post.

I am building soon so please help me end this discussion!!!! If something like this is better and I have access to it I should just do it!

Starting From Scratch!!

Ive used a biscuit cut for a box before only cuz i was short wood and that biscuit cutter is quite handy, but... i dont think itll make it stronger... they dont realize how much air a subwoofer can actually push, especially high powered systems that can rip a box in to if not built right.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

the bond between the pieces will be stronger (like where one sheet butts up with another sheet), but they will not do a better job stopping the box flex.

dowels and other types of bracing will still be better

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

the bond between the pieces will be stronger (like where one sheet butts up with another sheet), but they will not do a better job stopping the box flex.

dowels and other types of bracing will still be better

That's what I said!!!!

i feel like on large panels (like u mentioned) would need some sort of bracing...even its just a small piece of wood in the middle, running the length of the board....sort of like the design of an "I" beam..

Thank you! That is my actual design they were talking about. I am building a 2X4 "skeleton" with double wall birch 16 cubes for 2 DC LVL5 18's. I may use running thread too through the 2X4's as well because the length will be over 30". I'm also going to run 45's along the 2X4's and all corners, glass+mat the entire box sand bondo and then paint for a smooth finish.

Feels good to be right!!! :hairtrick:

Starting From Scratch!!

I was actually planning on using one idea they had which was to use a pocket jig on the 2X4 skeleton along with a crapload of glue to keep the frame as strong as possible, plus it looks cleaner even though it will be in the box! Seems to work on furniture pretty well.

Starting From Scratch!!

the kreg jig is pretty neat but if you are building a wall which is sort of what it sounds like it will be much easier to screw the 2x4s into the sheet metal of the car

Like a wall but not quite! :spiteful: Think speakerworks Grand National but with a box instead of an AP.

The entire frame will be built first then the birch will be cladding essentially and the floor will be reinforced fiberglass about an inch thick. A LOT of work is being done right now just to get ready to build the box but it will all be worth it!

Starting From Scratch!!