XBox 360 and PS3 in Surround Sound?

I recently got a surround sound system in my room (it's kind of old...) and want to figure out how the hell the hook my PS3 and 360 up for surround sound.

Right now, I have audio out from the TV to the audio in of the system, and that's only achieving audio through the front left, front right, and subwoofer.

With all the speakers, it should be 5.1 surround, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it.

Do I need to run the audio straight from the systems to the surround? Or would I need some other cable?

Right now, I'm using the red/white plugs for audio, which I understand are usually left/right.

I don't even care if it's "true" surround, I just want audio through every speaker. Thanks.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

well i have my surround sound hooked up to my ps3 thru a fiber optic cable and video thru HDMI. ihave 6.1 surround sound, but I dont use the colored RCA's, but if you can hear the system in thru some of the speakers then you must be doing something right. depending on what mode you have it on the surround sound receiver your NOT always gonna hear the same amount of sound coming from all the speakers.

mess with the setting on the receiver that might have something to do with it. hope this helps

My son has a 360,older version...on the back of his a/v cord that plugs into the back of the 360,is a slot for the fiber optic cord...use that.After playing around with his 360,i went and got an Elite system..and on the back of that a/v cord,there was no slot for the fiber optic..i'd have to buy it separately...as if the Elite didn't cost me enough as it is..so for now,since he's not using his fiber optic slot,we traded cords..lol Don't forget to turn that option on in the 360 settings.Idk about the PS3

i just straight up hooked up my 360 audio (red white) straight to my receiver and it gives me 5.1

and when my xbox is in my living room i use optical audio out with my receiver

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

If you want real surround (discrete channels) you have to use an optical audio cable or HDMI for your sound, period.

If you're using the red/white RCA cables, you're only getting stereo (if you hear surround, it's being matrixed by your reciever w/ Pro Logic).

If your receiver has a digital coaxial input, you can get an optical to coaxial converter and use that.

And, Sanitarium, are you sure you're getting surround that way? Every TV I've ever heard of will only output 2 channel PCM from it's optical out unless it's outputting audio from an OTA antenna. Are you sure you're not outputting a stereo signal that your receiver is matrixing to surround?

The correct way to set it up is to have the HDMI going from your ps3 to the TV, and have the optical cable going directly from the Ps3 to the receiver.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M