From what i've gathered with my talks with sony (i talked to them through our vendor support at my job) is that it is a PURE software block and when they are ready to let you play ps2 games it will be in an update

The reason why is because i ps2 costs like 15 bucks to make and they sell it for 100 bucks pure profit stores only make like 1 off of them

Ps3s cost alot to make like 25 dollar proffit for sony and not very much again for retail stores

HOPE this helps and im not just pullin it outta my ass

I hope its soon man cause I really want it. Thanks for all the info.

its ture but i have not tried to play ps1 games

Actually all ps3 will play ps1 games already

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

Thats because you most likely have the 80 gig system which is 100% backwards compatible, Sony stopped making those

Incorrect.

Only the 60GB had full hardware backwards compatibility. This was because they actually had the processor from the PStwos in them.

They are also the only US models to feature 4 USB 2.0 ports, WiFi, and chrome trim.

Due to lack of interest and as a cost cutting measure they removed the PStwo chip from the mobos and offered some backwards compatibility on the 80s and early 120s, however this was purely software accelerated and buggy with some(read: most) games.

The newer ones do not offer ANY backwards compatibility as those of us that like to USE our systems that we payed OUR HARD EARNED MONEY for found ways to use the older games to do things Sony says is a big no-no.

Sony is filled with doodoohead execs that like to tell consumers what they are and aren't allowed to do with the products they still expect them to buy, kinda like a rather large American company we all love to hate for the same reason.

Btw, I have a hard/soft modded 60G that still runs 1.0FW. Take THAT Sony!

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4

Thats because you most likely have the 80 gig system which is 100% backwards compatible, Sony stopped making those

80gig was 50/50

60gig was fully backwords compatable thats why i bought one , and as far as i know there is a program that they put up that will let you play most if not all of them

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones