Voltage problem :(

Setup is in my sig. with a completely stock electrical system. stock 100 amp alt, no big 3 yet etc...

Today I was driving and barely had music almost half way up and out of nowhere the voltage starts jumping from 9 volts all the way to 14.6 volts. i pulled over pulled off faceplate and problem stopped. i put faceplate back on and it does it again... took the alt to auto store and they tested it twice and it passed. put the alt back on, did a positive run from alt to batt in 0g and a 4g run from batt to chassis. (ran out of wire)

tried it again and still voltage 'jump' I tried a little 100rms 2 channel amp on same power run and ground and it worked just fine.

what can be causing this? Did I do something to the amp? bad ground? bad batt?

The alt take the load of headlights, defrost, fan on high just perfectly. Car idles at 14.6V and when off batt sits at 12.7.

I need to know if I need to get ahold of Sonicelectronix for warranty. Ive had the amp for a week if not that.

When I played the amp the voltage only dipped below '13' when i had it almost full tilt. but that was reading from the gauge on dash. at normal vol. it didnt dip or dim once. gain is about 1/4 way up if not a notch higherr and bass boost is just notched a little.

Someone please help me

Derp.

(took the alt to auto store and they tested it twice and it passed.)

waste of time an auto store does NOT test an alt under load just FYI. but with the voltage jumping like that could be a bad ground. Was it dropping everytime the bass hit?

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

i had the same prob and come to find out my ground was loose on the front batt

Lost prophets carclub

DD for life

Visit my youtube My link

It sounds more like a ground issue than a bad amp but I would exchange it since u just got it. Paying shipping one way will be well worth it if it ends up being an internal problem.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Sounds like your new amp is drawing alota power for the alternator to handle. Their always a solution,

replace the alternator with a higher output alternator depending on the alternator your car can handle

it should be anywere from 165 to 200 amps..

Anyways your definitley gona notice a less voltage drop.. Oh forgot to mention

im assuming you have dual two ohm subs powered down into 2 ohms? Ohms's law also play a big roll in

voltage drop..

2003 Mercury Marauder Black (R.I.P)

Tinted Windows

Purple HID's 10000K

Fog Light HID's 10000K

Swi Jack Steering Wheel Controls

Apple I-Pod Classic 80GB

Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed I-Pod Cable

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 Navigation/Bluetooth

Alpine PKG-M780 7' Headrest Screens

Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor

Alpine MRP-F300 4 Channel Amp

Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Power Amp

2 Kicker L7 15' Solo Barics

Alpine Type R SPR-17S Component's

Alpine Type R SPR-57C Coaxial's

Monster Performance RCA's

0/2 Gauge Wires

BIG III W/Fuse

200 Amps Custom Built Alternator

Yellow Cap Optima Battery Front

Xstatic Batcap 800 Back

Custom Mounted Bass Knob

LED's 2x License & Trunk Light

BoYo VTK-350 Color Backup Camera

Dynamat Xtreme Front Doors & Rear Deck

Clifford Matrix 50.7X Alarm System/Remote Start

Nope, dual 4's wired at 1-ohm final load. and i did the big 3 upgrade and tried the amp again and had the same jjump. Like i said I was bumpin at a low vol and then outta nowhere my voltage dropped to 9 back to 14.6 then kept doing it. I unhooked amp and it stopped. The alt takes the full load of a/c on, headlight on, 100rms amp full tilt, fan full speed, with no prob. doesnt even hesitate.

I double checked power for shorts and found none. I was advised by Maxxsonics not to hook amp back up or else i woulld try diff ground. I sanded sheetmetal first and everything. Thing is my ground waire is like 2 to 2 and a half foot. Idk if that plays any part but the amp worked perfectly for the few days i had it hooked up. subs are okay they still work, thats what the 100rms 2 channel is powering now.

Could my amp just be a lemon like suggected?

edit: oh and the voltage was jumping everytime the amp saw power. even with all rca's, speaker cable unplugged

Edited by solo_x18

Derp.