what characteristics do you look for when buying an amplifier wire kit or 0 gauge power wire in general?

i dont understand wtf gold plating is needed for. gold doesnt have as good a conductivity rating as copper or silver. i understand the point of the corrosion but really, whos gonna have water inside their car that can corrode rca cables and shit. not like your gonna throw your soaked winter jacket after a day of snowboarding ontop of your amp.

Hey Kranny thanks for the response! I happen to agree with you that 24 karat gold plated connectors does not make a difference. What is important is that the RCA cable;s internal wire is 100% copper not CCA or mixed with Aluminum. 24 Karat gold is a marketing gimmick that Monster cable put out and has yielded them a lot of success. I do not think it makes a difference but Im curious if some people actually nonetheless prefer it. For example if a certain Toyota is virtually identical to a Lexus many people will still want the lexus because it seems higher end even though performance may be identical.

With regards to power wire I believe what is important is to make sure the inside copper is a legitimate 0 gauge as some companies put a thicker outer surround and less interior copper to make wire look as thick but really much smaller gauge. Also it is important to make sure your wire is 100% copper as many companies mix Aluminum in the copper wire which will give you a much higher resistance factor. So its possible that a purer 4 gauge power wire 100% copper and oxygen FREE can perform better than a 0 gauge that ha sa high percent of aluminum in it.

Anybody that has any info or comments on this subject? I am all ears!

A matte jacket, a jacket that is thin enough to provide resistance to abrasion and cuts, extremely flexible...(I wanna be able to tie it into a knot roughly the size of a golf ball, silver tinned OFC, ~5000strand count, and 1/0g that is truly the size of 2/0g... under $3.75-4.00 a foot, and more color choices than your typical red, blue, black, and silver.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

A matte jacket, a jacket that is thin enough to provide resistance to abrasion and cuts, extremely flexible...(I wanna be able to tie it into a knot roughly the size of a golf ball, silver tinned OFC, ~5000strand count, and 1/0g that is truly the size of 2/0g... under $3.75-4.00 a foot, and more color choices than your typical red, blue, black, and silver.

x2 this. put a true amount of 1/0 gauge that is a little more than the AWG standard THEN put the casing around it. and label it as <$4/ft

Very insightful response! To my knowledge the only thing more strand count does is make it more flexible. Does making it so flexible to knot it in golf ball size make a huge difference to your install? It becomes much more expensive to have more strands. Is it worth the price?

Damn. At first you guys thrashed this guy.

But i think this topic can acquire a ton of information and answer a lot of questions.

Thumbs up to the OP :good:

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've used the car audio wire in times past with bad results, jacket not able to take much heat before melting or becoming so squishy it can wear through the jacket in nothing flat. Had the jacket nick the power steering pump and literally wore right through the jacket to the wire resulting in me having to cut that part out, I learned from that experience to never use something under the hood not meant to be there in the first place so i will now only use welding wire as it can resist heat/cold, acid, oil and everything else under the hood including resistance to wear from rubbing on anything.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2