voltage good right ? not !! plz help

hey guys , good to see a forum set up better than term pro .

well i have a voltage prob. in my suburban . heres what i have done.

- NEW 100A alt

- big 3 DONE & then some

- secondary Kenetik 1600 bat.

now for the problem . i charge at a constant 14.3v all day long . ( with nothing running) . when i start pumpin some DB's my voltage drops but not too bad maybe down to 11.2v . now that being said, if the system is OFF , truck running & at a good 14v when i turn on the headlights my voltage drops to around 11 vlots & if i turn on my aux. fog lights voltage takes a massive hit and drops to 10 volts or even lower if im stopped and in gear. ive seen 9 volts !!! my fogs are ran with 8ga. and on a selinoid . and my factory headlights are totaly stock & un-touched. any ideas on what might be causing this massive voltage drop with factory lighting? or just in general . any info would be great. thanks guys !

hey guys , good to see a forum set up better than term pro .

well i have a voltage prob. in my suburban . heres what i have done.

- NEW 100A alt

- big 3 DONE & then some

- secondary Kenetik 1600 bat.

now for the problem . i charge at a constant 14.3v all day long . ( with nothing running) . when i start pumpin some DB's my voltage drops but not too bad maybe down to 11.2v . now that being said, if the system is OFF , truck running & at a good 14v when i turn on the headlights my voltage drops to around 11 vlots & if i turn on my aux. fog lights voltage takes a massive hit and drops to 10 volts or even lower if im stopped and in gear. ive seen 9 volts !!! my fogs are ran with 8ga. and on a selinoid . and my factory headlights are totaly stock & un-touched. any ideas on what might be causing this massive voltage drop with factory lighting? or just in general . any info would be great. thanks guys !

11 volts is bad bro sum amps ive seen go into protect if they see 11 amps if i was you id for sure get a HO ALT...i thought most burbs cam with a 135 or 140amp ALT stock if so then that lil 100 amp aint doin enough

2001 Grand AM

Pioneer UB4000 HU

Tsunami / Monster Wire's

DC POWER INC 260SP ALT w/ XS Power VCM

BIG 3 All 1/0 Monster 400 + YT Under Hood

Stinger SPV70 x2 in Trunk

4x SA-10's On There Way soon i hope

SS XXX-4000D @ .7ohm 3K+

RF Power 4x6's & 6x9's Monsoon Powered

PG TL22 Line Driver

148.7db @ 35-45hz sweep w/ 12" BTL

Welcome, although I'm new too. I lurked for about a year, then decided to join. What alt are you running? It sounds like at idle, your alt isn't putting out enough current. I have this problem in my truck. Its an 85' with a stock alt and under 500ish rpm idle, lights will dim until I rev it up.

Since I know most people are gonna ask, what system are you running, perferably just what amp because a 100 amp alt for a newer vehicle, only 100 amps sounds low. I may be mistaken though.

Also remember every extra battery you add needs at least 10 amps from the alt to fully charge. You might be better off pulling the Kenetik until you get a bigger alt. We'll see what the pros say.

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

sounds like u need to talk to dc power or iraggi

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

100 amp alt sounds low, I only have a 105 in mine, start checking grounds and what not, and then maybe have the alt bench tested...you may need a slightly larger pulley?

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill

100 amp alt sounds low, I only have a 105 in mine, start checking grounds and what not, and then maybe have the alt bench tested...you may need a slightly larger pulley?

What is the year/make/model/engine of the vehicle?

What is the year/make/model/engine of the vehicle?

its a 1995 GMC suburban . 355 goodwrench tbi. it came with a 94 amp with the dress up kit , but looked tacky so i got a 100 amp replacement from marves electric . ( just a lil local alternator and starter shop) . all grounds are perfect . have 3- 1/0 guage grounds . and to answer BOON yes the fogs are on a selinoid . not a relay . contacts are good . its not a cheap selinoid ether . used to use it in my lo-lo . as far as what my system consists of . 1 Planet Audio RXD2400 and 2 15" L5's . the birth certificate shows 2403 watts RMS @ 1 ohm . giving 14.4v that is . not sure what the amps draw is as far as current. on a 140A breaker.

thanks again for all the help and ideas guys ! ill be sure to visit the forum often and pay it forward so to speak

Archived