hello, quick question. how do i paint my mdf wood to get a mirrorish finish. im looking for that black. like what chicken has his caddy on the dash. mirror black. kinda like black chrome? basically that finish that people use for fiberglass? any tips and help are appreciated. thanks alot

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

you have to primer it first and seal the edges, if you fiberglass it and give it a smooth finish with bondo or rage extreme it will be easier to work with, plus clear coats help it shine

not really looking to fiberglass it lol. i knew i had to primer. looking for someone to give me like step by step or something. but thanks for replying

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

not really looking to fiberglass it lol. i knew i had to primer. looking for someone to give me like step by step or something. but thanks for replying

Give the box a good sand before paint, 120ish grit should be good. Make sure to get all your joints nice and flush. Maybe do a round over around the entire box with a router to prevent mdf chipouts when moving the box around. Just a nice round over bit 1/2inch to 1inch should be good.

primer it to seal the box, and once dry, give it a nice high grit sand, 200ish grit.

then just start painting it, probolly looking at 2 or 3 coats of paint, with sanding between every coat. Your going to want to step up to a higher grit each sand time.

So hit the first coat with a 200ish grit

2nd coat a 300-320 grit

3rd coat with a 400 grit

You can use spray paint and get excellent results.

I prefer roll on paint myself with a foam pad roller.

I usually use a rustolium oil base paint, but to each their own.

The resin idea will work, but you will need to sand resin smooth, and thats lots of work or paint wont adhere the best to it. I did the inside of my old box with it and got almost 20 hours into it.

Give the box a good sand before paint, 120ish grit should be good. Make sure to get all your joints nice and flush. Maybe do a round over around the entire box with a router to prevent mdf chipouts when moving the box around. Just a nice round over bit 1/2inch to 1inch should be good.

primer it to seal the box, and once dry, give it a nice high grit sand, 200ish grit.

then just start painting it, probolly looking at 2 or 3 coats of paint, with sanding between every coat. Your going to want to step up to a higher grit each sand time.

So hit the first coat with a 200ish grit

2nd coat a 300-320 grit

3rd coat with a 400 grit

You can use spray paint and get excellent results.

I prefer roll on paint myself with a foam pad roller.

I usually use a rustolium oil base paint, but to each their own.

The resin idea will work, but you will need to sand resin smooth, and thats lots of work or paint wont adhere the best to it. I did the inside of my old box with it and got almost 20 hours into it.

so thats gonna give me that really high gloss finish?? i dont need to clear coat it?

1j1450.png

so thats gonna give me that really high gloss finish?? i dont need to clear coat it?

you could if you wanted to, don't really see it hurting anything

SKAR_468x60.jpg

1998 Nissan 200sx

NOW:

Dex-p98r head

Planet Audio 300.4 mids and highs

Planet Audio/Pioneer tweeters/crossovers

Skar SK1500.1

3 SKAR Vvx15 dual 4 wired at .63

elmers fiberglass cloth is some good shit, and since your not depending on the fiberglass to be the main structure, you can use that and autobody filler, sanded from 100-400 grit to create a smooth finish.

There was a good thread on here someplace, but I cant seem to find it.

but here is another one from a different site that will be helpful

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=191692

OMG thanks thats exactly what i was looking for!

1j1450.png

Archived