Sonic Electronix

i dont see how a wire grounded at one end will provide sound cancellation? if the wire is only connected at one end, it isnt passing any current and is essentially just a dead wire. power wires and remote wires arent really the same thing. yes they are both 12v+ wires, but the remote wire isnt made to power anything, its just meant to provide a signal. a few runs of 0ga vs a single 18ga wire with .2 amps of current...

It's meant to absorb electromagnetic signals (like static, engine noise, etc) the wire doesn't run between the RCAs in the type that's supposed to be grounded, the wire attaches to a braid or metalized film around rca conductors to absorb stray signals that would otherwise make it into the wire through electromagnetic inductance and cause noise. Remember that running a magnet along a wire will create an electric charge, albeit small, and rca's carry a relatively low voltage signal to begin with.

So there 2 way to overcome this, high output voltage on your source coupled with lower gain on your amp, or ground the signal wire's insulation out.

no that wire is a ground. you are supposed to ground one end and leave the other open it is for sound cancellation it helps the rcas have a better signal. have you ever heard of not running you rcas and power wire down the same side? so why would you run the remote wire (which is a live power wire) right in the middle of your rcas. think about it

Why I don't I have noise in my system with cheap Scosche RCA's and the remote wire ran next to em?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

"Extend the Head Unit's ground wire to the Amp ground location. Ground everything in the audio system (equilizers, crossovers, etc) to a single point near the Amplifier to eliminate the ground loop"

is this a good idea?

That's a "last resort" deal.

Do what blackedout says... He's right...

Why I don't I have noise in my system with cheap Scosche RCA's and the remote wire ran next to em?

Cuz you're fuckin' BALLIN! LOL

I got my RCAs from the dollar store.... Home audio RCAs.... Running next to my power wire, off a 1 volt preout deck, with my amps grounded to my seatbelt bolt, with carpet in between the metal and the terminal which is electrical taped on... And I have no noise. :popcorn:

Cuz you're fuckin' BALLIN! LOL

I got my RCAs from the dollar store.... Home audio RCAs.... Running next to my power wire, off a 1 volt preout deck, with my amps grounded to my seatbelt bolt, with carpet in between the metal and the terminal which is electrical taped on... And I have no noise. :popcorn:

I've only ever had noise once... and it was in an old car of mine.. a 94 Pontiac bonneville... and it only did it if i took the faceplate off of the headunit.

I had Stinger power and RCAs, with remote in them.. on top of my power wire...good ground in the trunk though...

I've only ever had noise once... and it was in an old car of mine.. a 94 Pontiac bonneville... and it only did it if i took the faceplate off of the headunit.

I had Stinger power and RCAs, with remote in them.. on top of my power wire...good ground in the trunk though...

LOL.... You're lucky. My first 4 channel install ever, I had more noise than music. 8-10 hour setback, no biggie.... Taught me real well what to do and not to do. I had a 2 volt preout deck, RCAs ziptied to my power wire not only ziptied, but pinched and ziptied and my ground to my seat bolt. Shit was ballin. It's fun trying to track a source of noise when all three components (Ground, weak signal, and RCA route) of noise were the sources.

i was searching bing for info about balanced line rca inputs. Ran across a page that mentioned the inner shielding. they said on some rca cables there is an extra shield on the outside only connected at one end that helps reduce noise. Also, I just realized that my stinger hyper series rcas are directional. If you are having noise issues, check and see if your cables are directional. I thought my co workers were joking about that. I tried them each way. When hooked up backwards I get a hum through the speakers with car on or off. Flipped them around no hum, no rca whine. hope this helps someone.

God damn its hot today. My balls are stuck to my leg.

LOL.... You're lucky. My first 4 channel install ever, I had more noise than music. 8-10 hour setback, no biggie.... Taught me real well what to do and not to do. I had a 2 volt preout deck, RCAs ziptied to my power wire not only ziptied, but pinched and ziptied and my ground to my seat bolt. Shit was ballin. It's fun trying to track a source of noise when all three components (Ground, weak signal, and RCA route) of noise were the sources.

Damn even I didn't do that when I did my first install... and lol my first install was a 4 channel alpine ... bridged .. running to the subs..50 RMS X 2....and that car was so old and ghetto I still got voltage drop to 12.5

But after being offtopic for about 3\4 of the thread... I think all his questions have been answered.

It's meant to absorb electromagnetic signals (like static, engine noise, etc) the wire doesn't run between the RCAs in the type that's supposed to be grounded, the wire attaches to a braid or metalized film around rca conductors to absorb stray signals that would otherwise make it into the wire through electromagnetic inductance and cause noise. Remember that running a magnet along a wire will create an electric charge, albeit small, and rca's carry a relatively low voltage signal to begin with.

So there 2 way to overcome this, high output voltage on your source coupled with lower gain on your amp, or ground the signal wire's insulation out.

Wow this thread went way off topic, lol. But anyway I found my problem.... when I push my rca's into my amp the whine goes away completely, when I let go they whine like crazy. So I stuck a piece of paper between the two to keep pressure, so I'm assuming its my amp because it does it with both rcas that I tried... I'm still contemplating. Buyinh a pioneer avh-3200.... and I still have alt whine vaguely in one tweeter....how the hell does that happen when I'm bridged with another set of components?

From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, one of my automotive teachers explained it as the wire picking up a frequency from a wire with current running through it. Kind of like your antenna for your radio. If I'm not mistaken, don't you place a dead wire next to it to absorb that frequency, thus canceling the noise? <<< i tried to remember that the best i could, plz don't hate if I'm wrong :P

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

Archived