DC Sound Lab

Chad Testing Level 4

Guest MegaloManiac

here with graphs

Alrighty now for some testing results.

This sub was tested in my 05 four runner. DbDrag style seald on the dash. This is only the 3rd time testing in this vehicle, but it works well because as an suv it has a large cargo area and doesnt have some rediculous peak like my old crx had. I ran into some heat issues throughout the day and this is only 2/3s of what I planned to test. Look for frequency plots in a few days.

SPL results

From the beginning of throwing the sub in the box i realized I had a decent spl sub on my hands. I started testing with very minimal power, 10.4 watts :), just to show the effeciency of this sub and the fact that you do not need to drop 2000 watts on a driver for it to be loud. After throwing in a MD napalm to get a peak score for todays testing of 142.5 @ 48hz on 2453 watts to get a benchmark to base my results on I began upping the power. Here is the chart of my testing @ 48hz which was determinded to be peak frequency on lower power.

Posted Image

I reached a peak of 143.3 there and proceded to test at 49hz for higher power levels as peak frequency often shifts at higher dB levels. Sure enough 49hz was louder over 1000 watts. Here is the testing of 49 hz with a peak at 143.5 on 1700.16 watts.

Posted Image

After doing that testing I decided to try upping the frequency once again to 50hz at an even higher power level, from 1300watts up the 50hz was again louder than 48hz. 50hz was determined to be the peak frequency at the maximum power i tested at today. Testing at 51hz yeilded similar results to 49hz hence those are not charted.

Posted Image

here is my complete spread sheet with all my current test values for spl and power. As you can see i paused testing for 5 minutes to give the woofer a rest at 2000watts after i had been beating on it for over an hour with tones.

Posted Image

A note on the power this subwoofer can actually take. For SPL I would say around 2500-2700 watts for a burp is about the thermal limit for this sub. Mechanically this driver can take a little bit more, but in all reality you shouldnt need to push much more power through this driver.

In conclusion to compare this subwoofer to many other subs tested in this exact same box during the test session in a different vehicle it is among the top 5 loudest subs tested and for the power pushed to it its amazing how loud it actually got. I will be doing this same testing with an sx in a couple days to do a better head to head comparasion, but i believe the results show clearly how loud this sub can potentially get.

Guest MegaloManiac

David, i noticed Chad wrote "2500-2700 watts for a burp is about the thermal limit for this sub"; I really dont think it could handle it for 30 seconds...only burps

well he is testing the 15's so thats why I asked about the 18's, that video they posted of Mikes van is doing 2300+ per 15 and he had no issues with a 30 second bassrace.

8 - 15's on 4 crossfire 4000d's and the one had a birth sheet of 4700 watts rms