Sonic Electronix

I googled this a little bit and couldn't find anything, also searched here... no luck.

I'm about to be buying myself a new setup within the next 3 weeks.

I originally thought two 12's, then i thought maybe two 15's (probably not enough room...), well now i'm realizing that a single 18" sub has more cone area than a pair of 12's...

I already know that i will be running 2 DAT 1000.1's... My question... can i get an 18" sub that has D1 voice coils, and hook one amp up to each coil...

I'm assuming its not a good idea, since not every amp puts out the same power, and there are alot of variables that effect the output power of an individual amp...

I couldn't find the answer though, so i had to ask.

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

It's called "strapping", or "daisy chaining".

Every brand of amps seem to do it a different way, but it all works the same. One amps is the "master" and it controls the "slave". This acts like one large amp. They are usually connected by a single RCA going in between the amps. And a 8awg speaker wire in between the amp in the "-" slot on the amp.

The "master" amp usually take the "+" of the woofer and the "slave" usually the "-" (but both usually plug into the "+" of the coinciding amp). With most amps you can "strap" them at 2ohm, which puts each amp at 1ohm.

So say you have a D1 woofer, you would wire it in series to get it to 2ohm. Then the "+" would go to the "master" amp and the "-" to the slave.

If this confused you or didn't help, check the manual of the amp you plan to use. All the info should be in there. :)

Not in this case though when you strap your amps they have to be down to a final 2 ohm and im not sure if you can strap the diablo 1000.1.Yeah you can you would just have to make sure your gains are pretty damn close to each other i mean steve did it to his SMD he has a T.2500 to each coil.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Alright, i knew that i could strap them...

The DAT 1000.1 is capable of being strapped. But when its strapped it can only do 2ohms...

I guess i just dont understand how strapping works... i know it turns two identical amps into one...

So lets say you have two 1000.1's and each one puts out 1300 watts when wired at 1ohm.. thats a "total" of 2600 watts...

Then, lets take those two amps, strap them, run them at 2ohms... i will still get an output of ~2600 watts?

This is my major question... are two strapped amps at 2 ohms just as powerful as running those two amps individually at 1 ohm?

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Alright, i knew that i could strap them...

The DAT 1000.1 is capable of being strapped. But when its strapped it can only do 2ohms...

I guess i just dont understand how strapping works... i know it turns two identical amps into one...

So lets say you have two 1000.1's and each one puts out 1300 watts when wired at 1ohm.. thats a "total" of 2600 watts...

Then, lets take those two amps, strap them, run them at 2ohms... i will still get an output of ~2600 watts?

This is my major question... are two strapped amps at 2 ohms just as powerful as running those two amps individually at 1 ohm?

As long as the ohm load is at 2 before you wire it to the amps, then the amps will be at 1ohm. And in some cases it can actually make more power.

You could strap them.

If all else fails, Maxx-Link them and strap them that way.

^^ whats a Maxx-Link?

And i just want to make sure i fully understand this...

If i get a sub that has D1 Voice Coils, and i wire the 1000.1's to the subs Voice coils in series to give me a 2ohm load.

The 2 strapped amps running at 2 ohms... would be just as powerful (possibly more) than the 2 amps running individually at 1 ohm.

Am i correct?

I would also kinda still like to know if its possible to do 1 amp to each VC, i don't see why it would be a good idea. But Steve does it... lol

thanks fellas, i appreciate it

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

3x XS power D2700's

strapping amps is like bridging subs back in the 2-channel amp days.

When you run your coils to a strapped or bridged connection the effective impedence is 1/2 of the actual measured impedence.

This means if you have a 4 ohm coil, your amp(s) will "see" 2 ohms. If they are not 2 ohm stable, you're in trouble.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

you can also run 1 amp per coil. No strapping involved. It will work fine this way.

Some amps have a slave/master where gains will automatically be matched. If your amps do not, then you have to use a meter and set them as close as possible to eachother.

But, the easiest, cheapest, and most reliable thing to do is to get a single 2000-2500w @ 1ohm amp and a dual 2ohm coil woofer.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion