Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer box idea that I've come up with for my car.

Split the box down the middle with a divider and run 2 6" aeros in the middle. IMO. If you can fit it.

I won't be able to fit two 6" aero ports between the two front subwooofers, and I really like the four 4" aero ports.

smdsig-2.jpg

Well i personally like closer to 18-20 sq in of port.

ya but you use slot ports in a trunk car. they seem to love large ports and i dont blame you for liking that. but here we have a hatchback and aero ports. four 6" ports would need to be 38" long to be tuned to 35hz. bending aero's is damn hard. pvc fittings wont fit unless he makes his own flared ports. but other than that the ports would take up so much airspace the box would be to the roof lol. also, aero's dont work the same as slot ports and dont need as much port area.

OP, i like the newest design. get the ports as far away from the box walls as you can.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Have the subs on the left just like the ones on the right where the top one is towards the center and the back one to the outside and you should be able to place both ports between each side in the center.

EDIT: Another option is all 4 subs in the center at an angle and the 2 open corners would have enough room for the 2 6" aero's.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Why is everybody so hell bent on port area? If you ran with 6-8sq in of port per cube, you would be fine. Smaller ports will also yield better power handling and more tuning availability.

There is no set "rule" for port area. Just people's references, and you'll see tons of opinions on it. there's nothing wrong with small ports.

Edited by Neo_frog

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Alright next question, what is a good tuning frequency for the subwoofers? Is the 34hz that I'm aiming for efficient enough for daily use (i.e. all-around bass or majority of the bass spectrum)?

smdsig-2.jpg

there is something wrong with small ports, its called port noise. also if the port is too small then it isnt venting like it should. more pressure will build inside the box and i believe will cause a lot of impedance rise. (dont know though, never tested)

ya, around 35hz is pretty normal tuning. the box i made tuned to 35hz sounded great.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

there is something wrong with small ports, its called port noise. also if the port is too small then it isnt venting like it should. more pressure will build inside the box and i believe will cause a lot of impedance rise. (dont know though, never tested)

ya, around 35hz is pretty normal tuning. the box i made tuned to 35hz sounded great.

Err, how much port area is Steve running? Tommy McKinney? Frankie Rio? They're all running, comparatively, fuck all port area.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!