Sonic Electronix

so ive been trying to avoid a new alt for the car as its not going to have the system in it for more than 4 more months and think its pritty shitty i will need one for the 460watts im pushing... honestly i get headlight dim with a cap and only 460W on an amp that claims it only consumes 43a so this brings me to my next question for all the grand prix owners... how big is the stock alt? i have a standard (not even a gt) 08 grand prix with power windows and locks/alarm system thats as fancy as the car gets.

98d60dea.png

01 GMC Sonoma 4x4

RF T1500.1bd

DC LVL 4 12"

I would guess 120a or 125a.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

GM alts are pretty generous, and at any rate, with 460w you're definitely not looking at a new alternator. i mean, it's not gonna hurt anything, but at that amount of power, it's not really necessary. where is your ground in the trunk? and have you looked at your chassis ground wire under the hood? if it's a little tiny thing, grounded to a really not-so-conductive location, it will cause your headlight dimming.

and just to let you know, a wire upgrade under the hood and a good ground in the trunk will help voltage drop (what causes your headlights to dim) a lot more than any cap could. it costs a lot less as well...

do the big 3 and check to see if your batt is any good(load test it). what kind of batt do ya have? after i did the big 3 and replaced my junk batt under the hood it helped alot for sure

Archived