Sonic Electronix

What Does 8-11Volt Drops Do To An Alternator?

I was reading a thread about voltage drops and damaging amps, when i thought to myself... what do these type of drops do to your alternator (both stock & HO)? I would imagine it would try to keep up with the demand but at what cost? what effect does this have on the voltage regulator?

doesnt ur car shut off at like 8 ? but i imgine u run a risk of burning the alt up.

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

i dont think your car would shut off because then i will go on battery power, so it will last about 1-15 min depending on your battery. Also, it will damage your amp =)

Mine is currently dipping into the mid to high 11's (on a stock alternator), but in that thread some were saying they've gotten it to dip to 8 volts. I plan to get a 200AMP Iraggi in a week or 2, so I am curious how badly the stock one is being beat on. I burned out a stock one last week but i have no clue what the voltage was reading. it did however shut the vehicle down yet the battery was still strong enough to power the stereo & attempt to crank the motor but not start. I found a temporary replacement until i get the HO & it fired right back up. I might pull the gain back a bit to reduce the power demand until I get the new one.

Edited by InfiniteRuckus

doesnt amps like fry why below 9-10 or at leased serious damage how is anyone dipping in the 8s without buying new equipment i wouldnt even play my system if i ran the risk of that they lowest mine goes is 10-11 with stock alt and stock batt

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Guest DC Power Kyle

If its a stock alternator you will most likely burn it up to a 8 volt drop. However, if it's a harpin: DSCN2870.JPG you won't burn it up because they are very very very smart alternators.

if my volt meter gets below 13.1 i cut my shit down and that only happens when i get knob happy other wise i stay at 14.2-13.8 full tilt no clip. I'm running one stinger sp1200 one marine deep cycle in back and one burnt up titanium under the hood off a 130amp cop car alt on a 4cyl motor... throw more reserve cap in there.. if you have to just get a $79 marine deep cycle from Auto zone/Advanced/pepboys/where ever.. 185-190 min reserve cap with a 2year free replacement warranty. crappy batss i know but they will keep your voltage up longer and your alt will last longer or forever if you keep the batts charged.

I burnt my stock 95amp alt out after 3 years of abuse and running dead batts

JVC AVX-44 and 360.2

Subs: 2 RF T1 12s 1ohm mono off a RF T1500bdcp 80hz \/ in a 2.3cube 45hz slot port

Mids: 2 O2 8's off a Punch 550.2 behind seat, 2 Image Cxs 6.5's and 2 ID XS 6x9s 80-3khz in doors on a T600.2

Highs: 2 ID CD.1 MH HLCD 8ohm off a RF 400.4 3khz /\