Stump me and win a prize

first off weight is a force and thus measured in newtons, versus mass which is usually measured in grams, or kilograms, assuming "that weighs 2" was just a mistake and you meant the mass is 2 (kg)...

the momentum would be 4 kgm/s (kilogram meters per second) as well as the kinetic energy which is 4 joules

next the collision, the equation for that collison is

M1V1+M2V2=M1V1+M2V2

assuming the second mass wasn't moving

(2)(2)+(1)(0)=(2)(V1)+(1)(V2)

we don't know the final velocity of V1 so we can't find V2

asumming V2 is 4 and V1 is 0 (which is not realistic)

the KE would be 8 for the second mass and 0 for the first

the reason the energy doubled is because the mass halved, and that means the smaller mass had potential energy

PE=MGH before the collision...which corresponds to the increase in KE

further, one KE doesn't neccesarily conserve into another systems KE, they are completely different systems, also momentum and energy are not interchangable, momentum is a mass moving a distance over an amount of time, a vector. versus energy which is one newtons force over one meter

could be wrong but i gotta go to work now...

:pardon:

I did it without units, units aren't necessary since it's just a ratio. You could use 2 million pounds, 2 grams, 2 kilos - as long as it's 2 whatevers then the ratio is the same :)

As I said in the original question, the objects collide frictionlessly and perfectly elasticly. Hence ALL momentum is transferred. Impossible, but theoretical here. Object 1's momentum goes from 4 to 0. Object 2's momentum goes from 0 to 4. Since the mass is known then the velocity can be calculated and hence the final eK.

PE=mgh applies to gravitational potential energy. The h actually refers to Delta (or CHANGE IN) height, there is no change in height so there is no change in energy. There is no conversion of potential (PE)

And man, your last sentence is full of wrong :(

Momentum and energy are inherently linked. They're both a product of velocity, hence they must relate.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

:shrug:

I copy pasted what you said to a buddy, that was his reply

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

ill let him know.

i dont think he cares as he just got a full ride scholarship to UF :drinks:

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

Questions were skipped as stated in the rules.

What was the legendary Edward Lester's first competition car?

I'll ask harder one later.

Ed, I'm going to go ahead and say you've stumped me. I've only been able to track you back to around 2000. I've gotten ahold of a few magazines and they say they haven't done articles on you, but I haven't talked to all of them. It's just holding up the game.

Ed wins first bracket prize unless you want to go a second round all or nothing. I've modified the rules a bit to prevent people from expanding on a stumped question for an automatic win. ;)

i got a great one. how many people read only 3 questions open at a time? lol

Very few, my friend. :lol:

Here's one for you when you're finished with the rest. I'd love to know the answer because it's blowing my mind at the moment.

We all know about conservation of momentum.

Momentum = Mass * Velocity

and:

Kinetic Energy = 1/2Mass * Velocity^2

Say you have an object that weighs 2. Its Velocity is 2. So its momentum is 4. Its kinetic energy is also 4. (1/2 * 2 * 2 * 2)

It collides, frictionlessly, perfectly elastically, with an object that has weight of 1. Conservation of momentum dictates that the velocity will be 4. So momentum is unchanged at 4.

However, the kinetic energy of the system has changed. 1/2*1*4*4 = 8. So the energy has doubled. Where has the energy come from? No energy has been input to the 'system' and as Einstein teaches us, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only changed to another form (unless we're talking obliteration of mass, e=mc^2 blah blah). So how does the lighter object have twice the energy?

Your question will remain open since it fell into the time frame I posted no more questions. All of the answers below are to keep things moving, but it will be answered.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Nope.

Little Physics for you

IF you are traveling at the speed of light, and turn on your headlights, will you seen anything? If so will the people coming towards you see anything. And how far is the distance that you can see the light if it is visible?

Hypothetical, but funny nonetheless. First of all, you need to realize that when you say you are traveling at the speed of light, that has to be with respect to, or relative to, something else. It is an underlying fundamental assumption of Einstein's special theory of relativity that uniform, non-accelerated motion has no meaning of and by itself. That is, there is, by assumption, no meaning to the idea of moving uniformly at the speed of light in an empty universe. That state is completely equivalent to being at rest in an empty universe..

I preface my answer with this comment because it leads immediately to the answer to the question. Imagine that you are in your car 'traveling at the speed of light' and that you turn on your headlights. That state of motion is utterly equivalent to being at rest in an empty universe. Since, when at rest, the light from your headlights would be launched forward from your car at the speed of light, relative to you, with a certain color spectrum, that is exactly what would happen if somehow you could be moving instead at the speed of light.

In other words, the presence or absence of other objects or matter in the universe relative to which, if present, you could make a determination that you were moving at the speed of light makes absolutely no difference to your own experiences and experiments. The light that you launch behaves in exactly the same way whether the other referential matter exists or not.

Last time I checked Yahoo answers was not the best way to get answers from. But gl haha!

Yes but I'm allowed to use any means necessary to get my answer. While doing other research elsewhere, I can use the community and research their answers to verify authenticity. I'm not ashamed. :woot:

Do midgets live as long as people that are a regular height?

Their life expectancy is about the same as everybody else. Due to their physical composure however, they tend to have much more severe physiological problems later in life which in turn could make them die sooner if bad enough.

what was the color of the first mustang?

White.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

How old was Dr. Gene Ray when he came up with the time cube theory? lol.

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

How old was Dr. Gene Ray when he came up with the time cube theory? lol.

He was born July 2nd, 1927 and came up with his Cube theory in August 1997 making him...70. :D

[email protected]

where is the lost city of atlantis ?

Yeah yeah. I can probably give you a hundred different theorized locations for this, none of which are factual by modern standards.

[email protected]

Archived