Sundown Audio

Going .66 ohms on a Hifonics Brutus

I actually have 3 of them, but am thinking about going to 2 just to see what happens.

Wiring possibilities are 1.33 ohms each (bleh for power) or .66 ohms each (blue smoke?). With impedance rise, I wonder if I would be ok? I know that there isn't a way to know unless I try, but I am curious if anyone here has run a Brutus at .66 daily -long term- without toasting it.

My $.02 is on no- but I thought I would ask here first.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

i have run at .5 in a box with minimal rise...it works fine but the amps generally cut out if you clip or overdrive them. they turn on and play (06 model 1600w) but cut out when you get past a certain point :popcorn:

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

They are pretty tough and can take a lot of abuse contrary to belief..

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

The two I am contemplating doing this with are 08 models- 1600 watters. I do have a multimeter and an O-scope, so I can be careful with the levels. B) The real issue is electrical. Only one battery- and the motor is shot right now (whaaat?!?!) so this isn't being driven.

I am curious about this because I am thinking about going to 2 BIG Brutus amps later after I fix the motor. So perhaps 2 of their 2400 watt amps wired to .66 ohms. :ehh: hehehe

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I pretty much raped my brutus 1200 with my second battery. When I first installed my second battery behind my back seat it wasnt secured correctly and I ended up pulling the positive wire out of the ring terminal while having some fun in the snow last winter. So the battery was not being charged while playing the system 800w on the subs and 140w to the mids and highs. The amps eventually shut off and I thought I fucked both amps. Hook the wire back and tossed the batt on the charger and was good to go, still running the amps no problems. The battery was an spv70 and I ran the system off just one battery for like a week and a half to two weeks.

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

ive owned both the 2008d and the 2010d models and both can handle .5 ohms with out gettin hot. those things runs colder than a penguins pussy

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

Thanks for the info guys. .66 doesn't seem so scary now. :) Yeah, perhaps later-later I get 2 of their Biggest Brutus amps 2400s (maybe bigger by then) and wire them up and let them rip!

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

just make sure you have a beast of an electrical system 4k+watts at .66 is a lot of powaaaa

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator