I just got a clifford 10.5x from a friend. I've printed off the user guide and installation guide and plan on looking up my car wiring in my haynes manual when I get home. I've been googling tips and what to avoid and I though I should ask you guys so I can get some first hand advice. I.e what to watch out for, a good place to mount the box/siren, how to mount it so its really hard for theives to get to etc... I like to do my own research but I found it always helps to ask on a forum so if you have any words of wisdom let me know.

I was also thinking about hooking up some small piezo's in the cabin along with the siren in the engine bay, I still have to figure out how many leads come from the box for sirens but I'm thinking it only has one since it is a lower end system.

I want to make the install as unconventional as possible so it's not so easy to disarm so if you have any tips for that let me know. The unit only detects trunk, hood and doors so I was thinking about adding a knock sensor too but I don't think I'll need a tilt sensor with stock rims and I doubt anyones gonna try to tow the car.

I pretty much have everything I need:

•Tie Wraps

•Test Lights

•Scissors

•Mounting Tape

•Multiuse Screws

•Screwdriver Bits

•Solder And Solder Gun

•Soldering Guns/irons

•Variable-speed Drills

•Voltmeters

•Wire Crimpers

if you are not handy with a voltmeter and how to test every wire you will be using as well as wiring up relays I highly suggest you pay to have this done.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

if you are not handy with a voltmeter and how to test every wire you will be using as well as wiring up relays I highly suggest you pay to have this done.

Yeah I'm very handy with a voltmeter and also got a multimeter if I need it. I'm good at soldering and I've built quite a few projects before. I didn't want to come off as a complete noob. I've just never installed a car alarm. Reading through the install guide it seems fairly simple. The only challenge I think will be to go through my car's wiring to find the right wires but as long as I have my haynes manual I'll be fine.

Yeah I'm very handy with a voltmeter and also got a multimeter if I need it. I'm good at soldering and I've built quite a few projects before. I didn't want to come off as a complete noob. I've just never installed a car alarm. Reading through the install guide it seems fairly simple. The only challenge I think will be to go through my car's wiring to find the right wires but as long as I have my haynes manual I'll be fine.

instead of using the haynes, try looking it up on the12volt.com or bulldogsecurity.com its alot easier to read. other then that, just take your time with it

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I have a few tips of advice, i have done a few mods to systems before... basically i fixed other peoples stupidity a few times.

First off the box, that should be able to go anywhere if it is like most others. I recommend mounted to the bottom of the glove box or inside (take it out and mount it to the literal inside not the compartment) the center console.

The sensors are what need to be certain areas and these are usually just jumping off the cars sensors.

The kill switch, now that was my biggest pain. Some people make it easy to get to, which is nice, but only nice to people who want the car. Make the manual kill switch somewhere unique. I have seen them under the dash like where your shins are close to. Don't do that. I recommend under the seat if possible or somewhere in the back something, somewhere someone will never find.

As for the siren, yes mount it in the bay. There should be a max of 4 wires going to that. Shouldn't be more than 2 but i don't know everything. Mount that inside the bumper if possible near the horns is good too.

Hope this helps, if anyone wants to tell me im wrong in any way please do with reason. And be polite im not here to tell anyone they are dumb so don't call me dumb.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

I have a few tips of advice, i have done a few mods to systems before... basically i fixed other peoples stupidity a few times.

First off the box, that should be able to go anywhere if it is like most others. I recommend mounted to the bottom of the glove box or inside (take it out and mount it to the literal inside not the compartment) the center console.

The sensors are what need to be certain areas and these are usually just jumping off the cars sensors.

The kill switch, now that was my biggest pain. Some people make it easy to get to, which is nice, but only nice to people who want the car. Make the manual kill switch somewhere unique. I have seen them under the dash like where your shins are close to. Don't do that. I recommend under the seat if possible or somewhere in the back something, somewhere someone will never find.

As for the siren, yes mount it in the bay. There should be a max of 4 wires going to that. Shouldn't be more than 2 but i don't know everything. Mount that inside the bumper if possible near the horns is good too.

Hope this helps, if anyone wants to tell me im wrong in any way please do with reason. And be polite im not here to tell anyone they are dumb so don't call me dumb.

Thanks I appreciate it. Inside the bumper is a pretty good idea, the siren has 4 wires coming from it. I'll have to do some reading tonight so I can ask more specific questions if any come up. I know what you mean about the killswitch. When mounting my audio equipment in terms of where it would be easiest to put an amp for example I always tell myself, "the easier it is to install the easier it is to steal" I wired up my own engine kill switch for the price of some wire and a switch at wal mart and I have it in such a good place I tell everyone I'll give them $10 if they can find it and they never do. Anyway, thanks for the kind advice you gave me some good ideas.

Thanks I appreciate it. Inside the bumper is a pretty good idea, the siren has 4 wires coming from it. I'll have to do some reading tonight so I can ask more specific questions if any come up. I know what you mean about the killswitch. When mounting my audio equipment in terms of where it would be easiest to put an amp for example I always tell myself, "the easier it is to install the easier it is to steal" I wired up my own engine kill switch for the price of some wire and a switch at wal mart and I have it in such a good place I tell everyone I'll give them $10 if they can find it and they never do. Anyway, thanks for the kind advice you gave me some good ideas.

Glad i could help, and i bolded the smartest thing i have heard in months.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

When hooking up the constant 12v red wire would it not be smart to hook it up to the + battery terminal since it will typically do 14.5v while the alternator is charging it?

Good question, simple answer is thats not a problem at all.

A constant 12v is literally a wire connected directly to the battery. Its called a constant 12v for simplicity.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Archived