08 Envoy Denali 18" AA SMD Build Log (150 db @ 39 hz)

Tuning is around 33, peak is 39 atm and on Trailvoy forums most people reported their peaks between 39-41. I know Rodney (bassbubble) has studied up on different box theories, and I'd be interested to try and have him teach me some of the concepts and try to build another box. Would give me a chance to brace and resin this box without being bassless for a few days.

are you going for numbers? of Daily GP?

TeamDeadlyHertz-smokeumtires.png

Honestly, I'm not worried about numbers, but I do meter it almost every week at Lisa's just to see if anything has changed. I figure the meter is floating around, I might as well see what I can hit this week lol.

I'm still getting used to the lows though. In my saturn my Orions were peaking at 47, so I got used to the upper end songs and that frequency of bass. I can sit in the Envoy and pound lows and I don't feel it at all in my ears. But sometimes while driving the saturn, certain frequencies of some songs I can feel it like smacking my eardrum lol. I really love the way this box sounds, but I've seen the top baffle flexing. I figure I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by trying a 2nd box while reinforcing my current box.

Good number though can see places in your box that is hurting you for numbers. The Dual port idea is nice for equal unloading but it wont necessarily give you best performance, theres no rads or 45s this will be taking few tenths or more off. I would do a single large port with 45s at the back of the exit and at the opposite end to encourage airflow. Couple of coats of resin will too, no need for glass.. 3-4 coats will gain you couple of tenths. Make the baffle 2-3" thick and sides no less than 1". As for hair tricking, play something with semi decent lows.. 25-33hz should have alot of air moving, at this point the sub will be unloading little more and moving farther. No replacement for displacement as they say.

Try couple of other enclosure configs and I see more SPL. 7 cubes tuned to 32Hz sub up/port up is where I would start. Flip it so it fires all up and also fire toward the tailgate. You have good distance so should load up nice.

You might be completley happy in which case enjoy it.

www.BladeICE.com

UK/European Distributors

Ascendant Audio

Fi Car Audio

XS Power

KnuKonceptz.co.uk

Facebook

Youtube Channel

Good number though can see places in your box that is hurting you for numbers. The Dual port idea is nice for equal unloading but it wont necessarily give you best performance, theres no rads or 45s this will be taking few tenths or more off. I would do a single large port with 45s at the back of the exit and at the opposite end to encourage airflow. Couple of coats of resin will too, no need for glass.. 3-4 coats will gain you couple of tenths. Make the baffle 2-3" thick and sides no less than 1". As for hair tricking, play something with semi decent lows.. 25-33hz should have alot of air moving, at this point the sub will be unloading little more and moving farther. No replacement for displacement as they say.

Try couple of other enclosure configs and I see more SPL. 7 cubes tuned to 32Hz sub up/port up is where I would start. Flip it so it fires all up and also fire toward the tailgate. You have good distance so should load up nice.

You might be completley happy in which case enjoy it.

No need for glass? Sorry but i have to disagree, the resin doesn't helps that much, fiberglass does helps a lot.(and if u do 2-3 layers it should be enough)

I do agree with the Single port and more port area.

But i think a 15 would be louder.

And the SMD doesn't needs to be in a 6.5cubes enclosure so do a 6cube enclosure and tune a bit higher but use more port area and make sure it isn't so close to the tailgate.

And i'm sure you will get more Db's. ;)

I think you're tailgate lowers tuning so it isn't that loud. :peepwall:

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

No need for glass? Sorry but i have to disagree, the resin doesn't helps that much, fiberglass does helps a lot.(and if u do 2-3 layers it should be enough)

I do agree with the Single port and more port area.

But i think a 15 would be louder.

And the SMD doesn't needs to be in a 6.5cubes enclosure so do a 6cube enclosure and tune a bit higher but use more port area and make sure it isn't so close to the tailgate.

And i'm sure you will get more Db's. ;)

I think you're tailgate lowers tuning so it isn't that loud. :peepwall:

I think I give up around here. I have worked with these subs. I have competed for over 10 yrs and i do this day in day out. I guess I'll refrain from giving out advice.

I'll end on, if the box is built right and strong it will not need fibreglass. Resin isn't used for strength its used to reduce leakage propertys of the MDF. But mainly to create a slick smooth surface.

I'm out of here.

www.BladeICE.com

UK/European Distributors

Ascendant Audio

Fi Car Audio

XS Power

KnuKonceptz.co.uk

Facebook

Youtube Channel

I think I give up around here. I have worked with these subs. I have competed for over 10 yrs and i do this day in day out. I guess I'll refrain from giving out advice.

I'll end on, if the box is built right and strong it will not need fibreglass. Resin isn't used for strength its used to reduce leakage propertys of the MDF. But mainly to create a slick smooth surface.

I'm out of here.

ugh not good give your advice in other threads atleast :drinks:

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

I'm out of here.

if i'm scrolling through threads, your posts are the ones i stop to read. i listen. i knew why you said resin only, but i think kirill just misinterpreted. screw the 'dont knows'. but feed the ones willing to eat, so to speak

Archived