DDlincolnon22's Posted June 22, 2010 Report Posted June 22, 2010 I remember back when I first got into the audio scene. I was on ROE and saw Steve's build with the MT's. Not very long after that I heard he had his own forum so I thought that I would join so I could get some more knowledge and believe me, I still think SMD is the place to go if you have a question. My question is, Why does it seem like some of the "older" members aren't around as much anymore? There are a lot of "noobs" here now. Don't get me wrong, you have to start somewhere and I'm glad there are still people getting interested in this hobby. The only thing I have to complain about them on is they don't seem like they want to take in any information and there aren't as many seasoned veterans helping them out. I'm not talking about every new guy that has joined recently, and I know you will have the know-it-alls everywhere you go. This really does bother me though because this used to be the place to be. Now it just seems like it's heading towards failure. The last thing I want to see is this forum die which I really doubt will happen anytime soon, but I don't want it to turn into another CA. So seriously, What happened? Team Digital Devastation My on-going 9518 build
bobonit Posted June 22, 2010 Report Posted June 22, 2010 I know exactly what you mean. The latest crop of new users seem to ask generic questions and get butt hurt when they don't get the answer that they wanted to hear. Or you have the know it alls that just start spouting off all kinds of random misinformation. My guess regarding the experienced users not helping as much, they are probably just tired of the BS and stay out of the noob posts. I remember when I came on as a new user to SMD, I was not a noob, but I had been out of the scene for a long time and much had changed. I had never built a ported box and was researching how to do it right. I found this amazing thing called the "Search" button. Google has one too. It seems that too many noobs are too lazy to use it and want to ask questions that have been answered 50 times already. Even when you answer their questions with a link to a thread that has their answer, they get butt hurt that you posted a link instead of just typing it out for the 51st time. I still try to help out when I can, but when it turns into a know it all post, I just bow out and let them start the fail process. 97 Maxima SE Bunch of shit going in, check out the build Build Log
tristan560 Posted June 22, 2010 Report Posted June 22, 2010 Yes I agree. There has been so much false info given lately...and it spreads. Its gotten bad. Its newbies giving newbies advice because nobody who actually KNOWS the answer wants to because of the massive amount of rediculous questions! <u>99 Jimmy SLT 4WD</u> Systemless. <u>99 Grand Prix GTP</u> DC XL 12 on 1.5k tuned lowwwwww.
DDlincolnon22's Posted June 23, 2010 Author Report Posted June 23, 2010 I know exactly what you mean. The latest crop of new users seem to ask generic questions and get butt hurt when they don't get the answer that they wanted to hear. Or you have the know it alls that just start spouting off all kinds of random misinformation. My guess regarding the experienced users not helping as much, they are probably just tired of the BS and stay out of the noob posts. I remember when I came on as a new user to SMD, I was not a noob, but I had been out of the scene for a long time and much had changed. I had never built a ported box and was researching how to do it right. I found this amazing thing called the "Search" button. Google has one too. It seems that too many noobs are too lazy to use it and want to ask questions that have been answered 50 times already. Even when you answer their questions with a link to a thread that has their answer, they get butt hurt that you posted a link instead of just typing it out for the 51st time. I still try to help out when I can, but when it turns into a know it all post, I just bow out and let them start the fail process. I can understand them wanting to stay out of all the BS. That's why I don't say anything to them, I just scan the posts somewhat. The search feature needs to be pushed on people a little harder, I know you can't really do that but it would be nice. If there was a way that Steve could make it to where they have to read all the rules and do a few other things before they could actually post that would be awesome. Yes I agree. There has been so much false info given lately...and it spreads. Its gotten bad. Its newbies giving newbies advice because nobody who actually KNOWS the answer wants to because of the massive amount of rediculous questions! This is exactly what I was telling parton226. Noobs giving noobs info, that just spells fail. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Maybe I'll get lucky and an admin or mod will read this and think the same. Like I said, this is the main forum that I'm on and I would hate to see it turn into another ca.com or caco. Team Digital Devastation My on-going 9518 build
finkster Posted June 23, 2010 Report Posted June 23, 2010 I have seen many come and go also. Some peeps get banned and what not. Every forum you go to has goods and bads. I think some people get tired of answering the same questions over and over, especially when some people are reluctant to listen. I think there should be a tutorial section just for noob questions or even a noob flame free forum. But thats just me. Honestly Ive been browsing diyma lately for more technical stuff. DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active Eclipse cd7000 I serve drunks for a living
Guest Posted June 23, 2010 Report Posted June 23, 2010 im one of the "originals" i guess you can say. member #323. shit i still mess some stuff up when giving info and "higher ups" always correct me when need be.
walwalka Posted June 23, 2010 Report Posted June 23, 2010 I haven't been around long at all, but I see all the retarded question. I don't know everything but I try not to post if I don't know for sure. or if I have a legit question or need an opinion if I can't search it. 2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin
mbdblue Posted June 23, 2010 Report Posted June 23, 2010 I know exactly what you mean. The latest crop of new users seem to ask generic questions and get butt hurt when they don't get the answer that they wanted to hear. Or you have the know it alls that just start spouting off all kinds of random misinformation. My guess regarding the experienced users not helping as much, they are probably just tired of the BS and stay out of the noob posts. I remember when I came on as a new user to SMD, I was not a noob, but I had been out of the scene for a long time and much had changed. I had never built a ported box and was researching how to do it right. I found this amazing thing called the "Search" button. Google has one too. It seems that too many noobs are too lazy to use it and want to ask questions that have been answered 50 times already. Even when you answer their questions with a link to a thread that has their answer, they get butt hurt that you posted a link instead of just typing it out for the 51st time. I still try to help out when I can, but when it turns into a know it all post, I just bow out and let them start the fail process. ^^^x10 bobonit...I always wondered if there was a way you could program a newly written topic so right before it posts, keywords are picked out and auto-sent to the search. almost like you would submit the whole post to the search button to see if its been asked before. but its probably more trouble then its worth... I think what bobonit said is 100% right. I also chalk it up to laziness. no one wants to research anything anymore and they'd rather be told what/how to do something instead of researching it themselves. AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco
DDlincolnon22's Posted June 23, 2010 Author Report Posted June 23, 2010 All of your comments and opinions are understandable and legitimate, I am just surprised at the lack of help I see now more than ever. I know that every single one of you just like me have lives and aren't on here all the time but there is normally someone with some knowledge online at all hours. I'm not saying it's their responsibility to help everyone because it isn't, it just kinda seems like they don't care as much anymore. Not trying to be down on anyone but I can't blame them really, with a lot of the questions I've seen and the way some people have conducted themselves on here I would be the same way. On the other hand, a lot of us started out with the same attitude as some of the newer guys. Like I said, I'm not trying to be down on anyone, just stating some facts. Team Digital Devastation My on-going 9518 build
DDlincolnon22's Posted June 23, 2010 Author Report Posted June 23, 2010 ^^^x10 bobonit...I always wondered if there was a way you could program a newly written topic so right before it posts, keywords are picked out and auto-sent to the search. almost like you would submit the whole post to the search button to see if its been asked before. but its probably more trouble then its worth... I think what bobonit said is 100% right. I also chalk it up to laziness. no one wants to research anything anymore and they'd rather be told what/how to do something instead of researching it themselves. This is exactly what I think too. If they take the time to learn it themselves they might get more out of it, not saying that there aren't people on here that can't explain things, there are plenty. Team Digital Devastation My on-going 9518 build
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.