Second Skin Audio

DC Level 4xl on 4K suggestions.

So I have recently picked up a Crescendo 3k to run my 15" Level 4xl off of. Originally I had a 2-ohm dvc and was running it at 3k for a while, but off of one effed up tinsel lead from when I bought the sub. (one side blown so theoretically 1.5k on one coil) I have recently had a recone sent to me, being a d1. Here's the question:

I had originally ran this speaker off of 1.8k on a Brutus, and put a lot of effort into my new box. The specs are 3.8cubes after all displacement tuned to 34hz. Sounded beautiful off of 1.8, and pretty good off of 3. If I want to run at 4k wired down to .5, what box specs would you suggest? Whether it be from personal experience or "reputable" word of mouth?

Please try not to spray too many "no no no you clips it, you no run 4k to sub. You no has electrics." I understand the concepts behind subwoofer loading and unloading. And from my understanding, my enclosure is obviously too big for this setup now and my speaker would more than likely be unloading way too much with the lack of pressure.

Current box: 16.5 height, 37 width, 20 depth. 3.8ft^3 @ 34hz.

Thanks ahead guys. :)

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Would I be better off running about 3 cubes? And in 3 cubes would I still be able to get the lows if I tuner around 30-32? Or is that tuning bad off of that much power? :ehh:

That sub is never going to see 4k off that amp. Even wired at .5

Okay on my gold thing that will put out a bit more than the rated power for the sub... I was using 4k as a reference number according to Crescendo ratings. If I build it for 4k, it will more than likely be good off of 3xxx I would have to think.

3Cubes would be better for that amount of power.

But i wouldn't trust the LVL4XL on that kind of power.(atleast for daily) :peepwall:

i would.

a smaller box is a good idea for more power but you dont want to go too small or they can rip apart. my 12"s are in a little under 4 cubes (1.9 each or something, i forget lol) and tuned to 36hz after F3. going to have a pair of crescendo 3ks at .5ohm in another week or 2 and i expect them to do just fine in that box.

i havnt played with 15"s so i dont know exactly what they like but maybe you can get an idea from my example.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

That amp puts out a hair over 3k at 12v at 1ohm...are you going to be able to hold a steady 12v? If not the rms is going to decrease by quite bit. And add box rise on top of that. You're sub will be fine...just keep an eye on it and know your limits.

<u>99 Jimmy SLT 4WD</u>

Systemless.

<u>99 Grand Prix GTP</u>

DC XL 12 on 1.5k tuned lowwwwww.

That sub is never going to see 4k off that amp. Even wired at .5

ya ya, we all know after rise you wont get that power but he is comparing it to the ratings of the last amps. you cant measure wattage before you build the box people. sheesh lol

edit - he is asking about the box, not what his amp will do. answer the question if you have input or leave him alone. no need to show off what you know and heckle him.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

No one is heckling him or trying to show off. He's just letting the guy know that he's off by saying he's going to get 4k from that amp. It's rated 4,030w @ 13.8v wired at .5 ohms. After rise and voltage drop (unless he's able to keep a steady 13.8v), it will be less than 4k.

That was probably directed at the guy saying he wouldn't trust the 4XL on 4k as much as it was to the OP.

Anyway, @ OP: The power you're going to be running on this sub will be fine if you know what you're doing, so don't worry about that part of it. I can't give much advice on boxes, however.

Okay thanks guys. And I did not take offense to anything so it's all good. lol I figured after box rise and etc i'd be a good deal under 4k. But again, I was just using it as a reference number. I was hoping my sub would be able to do it, as long as I was nice with the gains. I dmm tune everything since it's the best I have access to, and i'm one of the last guys you'll see throwing a few hundred dollars out the window due to ignorance. This is why I was wondering about some box help and questions. I've read in a few places of the xl's taking some serious power, and it'd be nice to get a little better idea of what would be good to plan my next box build around. Just a good general idea because I've been flipping couch cushions all day and can't find any Benjamin's laying around so I want to do it as close to right the first time as possible. :)