any structural engineers/general contractors in here

looking for some input on some structural weight bearing questions. In other words. I want a big ass aquarium and want to know if the area I havepicked out will hold it and what i need to do to make it happen.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Where are you looking to put it? How big is it L x W x H? Remember A us gallon of water weighs 8.35lbs.

here ill just bring my post over here . first person that makes fun of my mad MS paint skills gets the hammer

Wife and I have decided to upgrade our 55 gallon with overflow to a 150 4 wide tank. Settled on the biggest tank we could really do in the space that we have the wall space for. Im just curious if It would hold on the floor. Im more than positive im going to get a contractor to come in and take a look at it to make sure the floor will hold but might as well through it up here will im dreaming big :D

behold the awesome paint skills

kitchen.jpg

heres is the key for this wonderful item

red is the tank measuring 48x30x 25 tall

yellow is the center support beam consists of 5 2x10s secured together and runs the length of the house.

orange is a hollow false wall. its just under 5 feet long and about 12 inches thick. coming from the support beam

blue round circles are steel support beams measuring 13 inches around. they are roughly 89 inches apart center to center

Green are floor supports. they are 2x10 and spaced 15 inches apart.

I know this sucks for doing a whole lot with and i apologize. just trying to get an idea before I pay someone to come in.

My thoughts are to brace each of the floor support beams with an additional 2x10 perpendicular to the floor support. possibly even three 2x10s together with one running perpendicular to the floor supports and then one on either side of it all the way up to the sub floor. it may be overkill but im figuring this is going to weigh close to 2600 lbs if not more.

Thanks for looking and again i apologize for the lack of art skills.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

here ill just bring my post over here . first person that makes fun of my mad MS paint skills gets the hammer

Wife and I have decided to upgrade our 55 gallon with overflow to a 150 4 wide tank. Settled on the biggest tank we could really do in the space that we have the wall space for. Im just curious if It would hold on the floor. Im more than positive im going to get a contractor to come in and take a look at it to make sure the floor will hold but might as well through it up here will im dreaming big :D

behold the awesome paint skills

kitchen.jpg

heres is the key for this wonderful item

red is the tank measuring 48x30x 25 tall

yellow is the center support beam consists of 5 2x10s secured together and runs the length of the house.

orange is a hollow false wall. its just under 5 feet long and about 12 inches thick. coming from the support beam

blue round circles are steel support beams measuring 13 inches around. they are roughly 89 inches apart center to center

Green are floor supports. they are 2x10 and spaced 15 inches apart.

I know this sucks for doing a whole lot with and i apologize. just trying to get an idea before I pay someone to come in.

My thoughts are to brace each of the floor support beams with an additional 2x10 perpendicular to the floor support. possibly even three 2x10s together with one running perpendicular to the floor supports and then one on either side of it all the way up to the sub floor. it may be overkill but im figuring this is going to weigh close to 2600 lbs if not more.

Thanks for looking and again i apologize for the lack of art skills.

if its not on a concrete slab, the floor would needto be braced tremendously. you wouldnt want to take any chances with that thing going threw the floor!!

"yes... it will play like that all day!"

im not an engineer but i would definately brace the 2x10's ( the green ones ) perpindicular as you said should in case and to be sure of it holding the weight.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

When we did something like this we went to the basement and installed the braces. Big ass metal pole that went from the concrete slab to a cross member to brace the floor. I can for the life of me remember what they were called but are contractor recommended them and they worked flawlessly.

Edited by jeyrapboy

im not an engineer but i would definately brace the 2x10's ( the green ones ) perpindicular as you said should in case and to be sure of it holding the weight.

Thats what im leaning towards. it should be cheap to do especially after paiyng 2 grand for a new tank and all the toys.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Ok, drawing has me a little fucked up... How many floor joists are you going over with the tank? Is the tank gonna be running with them, or across them? How much does the tank itself weigh? are you going to be putting the tank on some sort of stand, and if so, how much does it weigh? Right now, you will have 1300.93lbs in just water.

You need to remember that US codes for homes and apartments is that the floors be able to support at least 40psf (Pounds Per Square Foot). Read THIS and see if this helps... Also, what are the dimensions of the room you are putting the tank in? Then go under that room, if you can, and see how long the joists are between supports ; ie, 8ft, 16ft... k.

hey no making fun of the drawing lol. It will be running perpendicular just like hte drawing has it

tank stand and canopy along with the sump tank(additional20 gals 160 ish lbs water) is going to be in the ballpark of 750 lbs i believe( i dont have exact weights but i know what its oging to come out to around. and then i round up)

live rock 200lbs

sand 200lbs.

AS you can see I rounded up. I figured it was better to err on the side of two heavy than not enough. Floor joists in that room are 14 feet long. they attach to that center support beam (5 2x10s). I believe I will be over 4 of the floor joists possibly five. I just have to double check for certain. I do have a few inches either way I can move it to ensure I get at least 4 if not the 5

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

• 1 year later...

^^^wat

wooohoo!

-Acura RL 2005. Blue.

-Stinger Expert Roadkill..Trunk only

-(2) Skar VVX-12's D4 coils

-Dual slot ported to the left custom box tuned @ 32hz

-Audioque 1200D amplifier

A tribe called quest... ftw