Alternator Whining

Hey guys, I'm going to say sorry ahead of time because I have a feeling a bunch of people have asked this question before but I cant seem to find a direct answer to my problem. My stock Honda alt took a dump and I decided to replace it with a similar OEM model, it has the same 70 amp output and everything. But whenever I start to put my foot on the gas and accelerate I can certainly hear the alternator whine, and thats the only time it happens. Everything charges properly and there arent any voltage problems of any sort. The only thing that changed from replacing the alternator was that I did the big 3 right after. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that its possibly a bad engine block to ground connection? If anyone else has any ideas on why it would whine, I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks!

You are most likely correct thinking it is a ground issue.

It sounds like a ground loop issue to me, so what I would try is disconnect the groun wire(s) you added while doing your big 3. If the alt is a pain to get to to remove the ground wire, remove the chassis ground.

If the whine goes away after you disconnect the wire you found your issue.

Personally when I do big 3 wiring I run Pos from alt to pos on battery, neg from an alt mounting bolt to neg battery terminal, neg battery terminal to a solid chassis ground, then I do a pos from battery to the main fuse cluster under the hood.

I never worry about the body to engine ground, I leave the stock alone since the alt mounting bolt to the battery is a way better ground then the engine to chassis is.

run Pos from alt to pos on battery, neg from an alt mounting bolt to neg battery terminal, neg battery terminal to a solid chassis ground,

This is what you need to do to fix the problem. The alternator may also have a bad diode, which will cause a whine as well.

Alright thanks guys, I will definetly check to see if the chassis ground is the wire causing it. Also, is there any danger or drawback in this whine besides the noise?

if u need ideas for a ground on a honda look at my build i just did big 3 grounds

1) lookj to left

2) NOTICE BLKUE

3) ME > Y9OU

4) that is all

Archived