Second Skin Audio

birch vs mdf

baaudio

ive seen you guys all use either one of these and was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are of the two. whats the reason to use birch instead of mdf or visaversa.

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

birch is lighter but more expensive. they sound a little different because of the weight (mdf is more dense).

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i've never used birch but from what i understand, it really just matters on what you want it to sound like.

39118_1509236767337_1126873577_31470344_6306040_n.jpg

2 12" memphis mojo mojo12d4

hifonics brutus bxi 2610D

1/0 power wire

4 gauge speaker wire

ddm tuning 8000k 35w hids

C&D technologies battery (100 ah)

custom box tuned to around 45hz(designed buy fritosaregood)

2010 kia forte koup

birch is lighter but more expensive. they sound a little different because of the weight (mdf is more dense).

I've never noticed a difference in sound.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

I've never noticed a difference in sound.

i did say "little" lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I've never noticed any sound difference in car, in the garage when I test for air leaks I can tell the mdf is slightly and I mean slightly less resonant. the birch is stronger, holds screws better and is lighter than mdf, and I always see a slight gain when using birch over mdf

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Birch tends to come with a little more work time when making a sexy raw box, but you can stain it to be ubber sexy. But I'm a woodworker at heart, love working with birch because you can leave it light or take it as dark as you want. Its waay lighter than MDF and more rigid as well. Only draw back is price and cleanliness of cuts, not even a really fine tooth saw blade can cut birch as cleanly as MDF cuts, birch always has some burs on the bottom of the cut that need a quick sanding before glueing/fitting.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Birch tends to come with a little more work time when making a sexy raw box, but you can stain it to be ubber sexy. But I'm a woodworker at heart, love working with birch because you can leave it light or take it as dark as you want. Its waay lighter than MDF and more rigid as well. Only draw back is price and cleanliness of cuts, not even a really fine tooth saw blade can cut birch as cleanly as MDF cuts, birch always has some burs on the bottom of the cut that need a quick sanding before glueing/fitting.

like skittles box. that thing is uber sexy.

great info guys. so it sounds like theres very little difference. ive always used mdf the only thing i hate about it is when you get splits near the edge. but thats mostly self inflicted from not pre-drilling deep enough

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

i dont think you can kerf with birch..

ive used both and i like birch, or the fake birch atleast, due to weight

but i like mdf since its easier to cut, and i can kerf with it.

id always pick mdf, unless i built a big wall or something for a sports car and wanted to cut down one weight as much as possible

Archived