ok, so that short air intake thread got me thinking and i went out and did this today.

bolted my ECU to the wall next to the filter.

P1020902.jpg

P1020904.jpg

P1020905.jpg

i need a couple inches of pipe to get the filter where i want it. im going to try to make a heat shield out of sheet metal. it will cover the top of this cubby hole as well. hopefully keep as much water off the ECU as possible. what do you guys think? i know it wont do a lot for HP but i just hated the tiny inlet the air box had.

i really dont know much about cars so i just wanted to make sure this plan wasnt stupid or had a chance of damaging something.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Where do you plan on putting this filter after its all said and done? In the fenderwell? Or are you just gonna allow more hot air into the engine by leaving it as a SRI?

Spectre brand makes a great mock up kit to design an intake that fits your vehicle. So you know which pieces you need. That is if you can't find any intake kit of Ebay. Stick with a known filter though.

Derp.

Where do you plan on putting this filter after its all said and done? In the fenderwell? Or are you just gonna allow more hot air into the engine by leaving it as a SRI?

Spectre brand makes a great mock up kit to design an intake that fits your vehicle. So you know which pieces you need. That is if you can't find any intake kit of Ebay. Stick with a known filter though.

maybe you need to be a little more blunt here. again, i dont know much about cars, you need to explain this shit. like i said i am going to make a heat shield. the filter is going where you see now, just a little closer to the fender once i find a 3.5" pipe. there are plenty of places for air to come in from the fender and under the car. might even make a funnel behind the bumper to shoot air at the filter.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

There might be plenty of places for air to come in, but the majority of air will be hot air from the engine. But a SRI will do if thats what your looking for. What kinda year/vehicle do you have? What motor?

Derp.

i have no idea what an SRI is.

the holes in that area dont lead back to the engine, they go down to an opening under the bumper so it should be a lot of outside air getting in... at least the way i see it :shrug:

it is an 06 buick rendezvous. 3.5L v6.

thanks for taking the time to help.

SRI = Short ram intake.

Even with them holes there I'm assuming there is still the engine heat present around the filter itself. Like the stock intake box probably connected to that hole on the side of the fender, which goes down into he fenderwell. But I guess it ain't really a concern if you don't want it to be. lol

I didn't notice any difference going from a SRI to a CAI. But then again I have a lil 2.3L 4cyl. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spectre-8810-Modular-Cold-Air-Intake-Mock-Up-Kit-CAI-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa44093fcQQitemZ320583275516#ht_500wt_956

That ^^^ is something you can use if you really wanted to route a true CAI for your Buick. Mock it up then go to Oreillys/Autozone then get the pieces you need.

No prob. :drinks:

Derp.

ah, gotcha.

the hole in the fender actually goes up... not exactly sure where it lets air in though.

there isnt much room down low. it would almost sit against the engine. and i go though puddles and shit every chance i get. i really dont want to shoot water are the filter. i actually had the filter down there at one point but put it back to stock once i drove into the snow... and i found out the filter had a 4"+ gash in it.

i guess i dont know how picky about the heat i need to be. i just figured the heat shield would be enough since k&n does that.

It would be better with just building a nice heat shield with the free spirited driving that you do. lol

Any plans other than a basic sheetmetal design? Gonna paint it? line the top with a rubber molding to make it flush with hood?

Derp.

flush with the hood? hmm... i didnt think about that lol. maybe ill try to make some cardboard models and see if i can do that.

im going to roll each edge to give some strength and take away sharp edges. probably spray paint it in a rubber coating to help it resist heat a little better.

ya... when i see a puddle, i drive though it. it would probably scare you how happy i get when i go through a big puddle... i laugh like a crazy person lol