Sundown Audio

amp going into protect

BeAlLsTaR13

ok well im on my second saz2000d, my first popped into protect on me CONSTENTLY for some reason, so i thought it was an amp issue. However i received my second one the other day, worked great didnt pop into protect.. well today (before i added my second battery) my amp went into protect so i was like ok and such then it did it again (only goes into protect when i turn the gain knob up) i can play it at any volume and ect but i'll do 4-5 clicks on the gain knob, it'll be getting loud i'll do that 6th click i can feel it get even louder and BAM, gone. so i have to keep it there, well the reason this is a major issue for me is finals are in 2 weeks and i need this solved, heres what i have ALREADY done:

Changed from running of my 2.0 volt HU preouts to 3.5 volt EQ preouts

ran it without the bass knob

changed from speaker terminals, to bolt terminals

power/ground connections are pretty good

rca cables work fine, their standard RF ones, these amps like standard rcas

put hc1800 in back

pulled the back plate off the amp to see if the mosfets were grounding against it

my voltage stays well above 12.8

my final imp @ the amp is .7-.8

now whats weird is when jacob got the other amp, he said it was pretty much impossible for him to put that amp into protect, he wasnt able to do it..

any suggestions?!

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

I've helped other guys that have had this issue many times. One guy that ran a Kicker 2500.1 had the same problem as you have, we troubleshooted the problem and found out it was a grounding issue. For some reason at lower volumes and bass knob at lower levels it was fine, but 75% to full tilt was an instant protect. We simply switched the ground from a flimsy piece of metal to a grinded and sanded down strut tower base that was linked directly to frame. And it never happened again. On another amplifier a Memphis MCD 2500 the amplifier had the same problem but this time it wasn't the grounding issue, It was a Loose fuse block / distribution block. The screws holding the pieces in was loose and stripped from the bass that it wasnt getting a good connection. I would check the grounds, and The fuse or distribution blocks, I've seen it happen on a few amps. Hope this helps bro :drinks:

btw. I doubt it is anything internal inside the SAZ 2000, i know a guy that has literally ran a bunch of subs and tested every ohm load possible on the amp and it was very difficult to get into protect. Matter of fact i dont think he ever did run it into protect and pretty much stated sundown was one of the toughest amps ever built

thanks man, gonna check the ground here in a few mins and some other things

Team Sundown Audio

also check the subs could have a blown coil when you give the knob a turn it will go protect just had this happen to my wifes psi subs one was blown would play till you turned knob up

X2, Had that happen with a Eclipse sub in a buddies car, the tinsel lead broke off after coil blew and touched the other tinsel lead and went into protect. But if he had a blow coil he would either have a blank impedance on the coil which would throw off the final impedance. If both of the subs read the correct impedance he is fine

i am going to troubleshoot my electrical and connections ect. before i check the subs, only to make sure electrical and connections are 110% good.

well what i did today was replace fuse under the hood with a 300a, checked the ground, ran with vehicle off and well i was just testing, it did NOT go into protect.. but i have no idea what i did i also made it so 25 was the volume on the head unit, but re did that so 30 is once again

my voltage is POS right now when i ran full tilt with the car off haha, just started it its like 13.5 right now ftl so gonna let that charge up, it just started raining on me and i have to be to work in 30 mins so ill have to finish where i left off when i get back later

Team Sundown Audio

Keep s updated on the progress when you can bro :drinks: , hopefully it will be in the best shape for finals. Yeah 300 amp fuse might have helped a bunch. Especially since sundown amps are underrated so maybe it was pulling more current than the fuse allowed. Or maybe it was loose and when you added a new fuse it made a better connection.

well it seemed to have been working fine but nope, popped into protect so far ive:

swapped the fuse for a 300a

made it so max volume on HU is 25-27 to minimize clipping

changed the ground

Team Sundown Audio

just thought id throw this in here. where you grounded your amp is it fully flush? i had mine grounded to the base of my trunk and when i cranked the screws down it warped the metal of the car and made it so that my ground was not conducting fully and this threw my old amp into protect. if anything, check all terminals on your battery, chassis, and fuse blocks to make sure they are so tight that you cant pull them out with all your strength. i did that and it fixed all my protect issues i had. also try not upgrading the fuse because if something is shorting out the last thing you want to do is upgrade the fuse and have all that extra power in the wire before it blows the fuse in a short-out event. ive zapped plenty of my amps from loose wiring and from me being so inexperienced in the past.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived