Second Skin Audio

gluing back sub surround

well i figured out why my sound streams sounded like they did, was playin wit em the other day and come to find out that my surrounds are comeing off, so i was wondering

what kinda ca glue works best for rubber surrounds?

i was gunna get a medium grade or something thick but what yall use?

and how would i align the vc so it dont move back n forth?

only about 1/4 of it came unglued but would it be better to reglue it all cause how tight of a gap it already has i dunno how good that will work

and do i put glue on both the surround and basket or just one and sprat activator on other?

ive used ca glue building stuff befor but not with speakers and what knot, well ya i have but i just reglued the cone back on my old mtx 6000 15 where the amp came off box and busted it when my cuzin had em, but anyways

what would be a good way to fix this? they still have these subs as referbs but i dont really want to buy anymore, maby 4 of em in a build would wang but all i got is 2 and they seem to handle the 500rms im giveing them each but if i push it to hard i guess the vc hits the former and shorts itself out and throws the amp into protect, but it only does it on certian songs tho

anyways its either fix these 10's and build a nice box for em or just throw one of my 15's in the truck

oh and another question, if u run 2 subs inverted does keeping the polarity the same make a difference or will wiring them backward make em sound like they was in the box regular? cause these 10's love to be inverted and wang like hell but i dunno what specs to build the box to cause each sub in the box needs 1cf each sealed and does not recomend ported but that can change lol, i was thinking maby .5cf inverted or keep it 1cf and after i fix em run em inverted or throw em wit the mag in the box n see how they sound

box will be a downfire box wit a amp rack on top of box the best i can build it, prolly be back lit wit my 12'' led strip but i dunno yet

anyways preciate the feedback peoplez :) , oh and if it dont make any sence i can retype if need be, i aint got that good of language skillz so i do best as i can

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

oh ya, forgot, here go subs i got if it helps any

when i invert em i take off the lil rubber ring piece thing

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5458_Soundstream+VGW-10.html

i seen pics of a guy running 1 10 with 1000rms going to it ported and it took it and sounded killer so i wonder what these 2 in a nice box could sound, hell even with fuked up surrounds and in a shit prefab sealed box they still wanged like my 15's did just not as loud and they kill teh lows too, real good sql sub

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

if a sub is 500rms and i give it 500rms and it damn nere, well lets just say that the dust cap was inline of the top of the basket when i was free airing em so i guess either these subs are over rated or my amp does more power than i thought it did lol

anyways thankx for the info, and whats the pros n cons of useing that glue vs ca glue cause i can get ca glue for the low and need to fix this asap so i can start on box

IIRC, if the spiders are still intact then your VCs will still be aligned correctly.

So untrue!!

Only glue the part of the recone that is coming undone. If the rest of the surround comes unglued down the road then fix that.

If you pull the whole surround up your voice coil will no longer be centered in the gap correctly since not only the spider, but the surround keeps the voice coil linear.

If you reglue the full surround at once there is a big chance you may glue it a tad out of line from where it use to be and it will pull the voice coil off to one side. Meaning your voice coil will not be 100% straight up and down, and will cause rubbing on one side or another!!

If you do decide to pull the entire surround up, hopefully you can do so without ripping the surround where the glue is good and bonded well, which will most likely happen!

And if you do get the surround up perfectly 100% around the whole speaker you will have to pull the dustcap off to shime the inside of the coil around the woofers gap, or like i said there is a very good possibility you may reglue it in the wrong spot. The spiders alone are not strong enough to keep it 100% linear imo especially when your pulling on the surround to get it up and then when your regluing it..

A normal thicker black ca glue is perfectly fine to use on surrounds.. I reconed I dont know how many brands of woofers using CA Glue for everything (surrounds, spiders, triple joints, dustcaps, etc) and never had a failure because of using ca glue.

Many companies only send you CA Glue and Activator when you purchuse recones and glue to do the recone yourself.

If you do use CA glue to reglue your surround id still let the woofer cure 100% over night (24hours) even if you use activator because the activator really only hardens the glue that is exposed. Plus this way with it sitting you know its fully cured and shouldnt have an issue.

But if you only fix that 1/4th of the surround that has came unglued I think you would be fine laying a fat beat of CA glue along the basket, then spraying the back side of the surround with activator then quickly put he surround down and apply even pressure. However if you put the activator on the back side of the surround as soon as it touchs the CA it will be solid and you wont be able to move the surround. So you really only get 1 shot at it.

Otherwise just ca glue along the basket, put the surround down, then spray activator on the glue that has oozed out from the side of the surround and basket, but then wait a good night for it to fully cure.

Sorry for the essay, but I just want you to have correct information before you go and completly mess up your sub because someone with no experience thinks its perfectly fine to pull up your entire surround and the spider will hold it centered...

Just 2 images i drew up quick incase you dont understand what Im saying.

nothing spectacular, paint ftl!

While the coil sits evenly centered in this picture with the surround and spiders glued down.

good.jpg

They can become crooked by removing the entire surround off the basket and pulling the surround one way or another too far or just a tad can still move the axis of the coil and would end up sitting in the gap something like this. if it makes sense.

bad.jpg

The red lines is the coil and spiders. I gave up on trying to draw a cone and surround. LOls

Edited by Audiofanaticz

ya that makes sence

i did not recone em but the person i got em from they were referbished or w/e and they used some sort of yellow glue on the surround

and if u gently tug on it it will come up all over the place so im just gunna fix whats not stuck

i think i kinda fuked up cause i tried to fix it with elmers spray glue cause thats all i had and was impatioent to get it fixed

but i got em inverted now and i dont get that noise like i did when they was in the box regular cause the air off the back of the speaker was pushing the surround up and makeing it flap and make a noise

i guess if i get this surround problem fixed i dont have to invert em when i build my box, i mean they sound alot louder and better inverted than they did when they was regular even in the same box so i unno

anyways i'll try n ca glue this thing sometime so i can have a decent system in my truck, i really want to port these things but i dunno how they will like it, but they hit hella lows, acually hit lows better than my 15's did and almost as loud as the 15's where with a smaller box

since youve messed with diff subs in the past

if this sub recomends 1cf each sub sealed, can i make a box to 1cf for each sub devided (i have better results with devided boxs), will it preform the same or close to it inverted as it would without the motor displacement? or sound i do a .5 or .75cf box for each sub and run it inverted to take place of the distplacement?

i was gunna make it 1 box with 2 chambers but i might just make it high enough to run em inverted but keep it the 1cf so if i decide to change the way there in the box

i got em in a prolly a 2.5cf sealed looks like prefab box with em inverted and they move some air pritty good for 10's but i dunno how the mechanical limits will work with them getting 500rms each cause i can get the excursion so that the dustcap is in line with teh top of the basket, i dunno how the hell they built these subs but soundstream ftmfw! lol

i might get some t4 10's if these ever take a shit or something, power from the spiders ftw! lol

So untrue!!

Only glue the part of the recone that is coming undone. If the rest of the surround comes unglued down the road then fix that.

If you pull the whole surround up your voice coil will no longer be centered in the gap correctly since not only the spider, but the surround keeps the voice coil linear.

If you reglue the full surround at once there is a big chance you may glue it a tad out of line from where it use to be and it will pull the voice coil off to one side. Meaning your voice coil will not be 100% straight up and down, and will cause rubbing on one side or another!!

Sorry for the essay, but I just want you to have correct information before you go and completly mess up your sub because someone with no experience thinks its perfectly fine to pull up your entire surround and the spider will hold it centered...

Thanks for the corrections, I did not know that. When I re-glued the surrounds on my subs I had no problems with VC alignment on either sub after replacing both complete surrounds. I was told as long as the spider was still in good shape there was no reason to worry about shimming. Anyway, glad you cleared it up for him!

:drinks:

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• 1 year later...

resurrecting an old thread...

I have a slightly different problem: a small section of my rubber surround is coming off the cone (not the basket). Should I use ca glue for that or rubber glue? The speaker is a MMATS Dreadnaut 15. thanks guys.

1 MMATS pro audio D3000.1

1 MMATS Dreadnaut 15 in 3.5 cu ft ported as per MMATS specs

1 LA S2.300.1 for mid/highs

1 parametric eq/10V pre amp from Soundstream

big 3 done

missing HO alt+ AGM batteries

simple set up..

I bought some loctite super glue "flex gel" type. LOCPFG3T.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the area in question. Note that the rubber is simply coming unglued from the cone.

FLS_1964.JPG

FLS_1963.JPG

So, would that loctite lotion be OK to carefully pour in between the cone and the rubber surround? Please help..

Edited by fozmantabass

1 MMATS pro audio D3000.1

1 MMATS Dreadnaut 15 in 3.5 cu ft ported as per MMATS specs

1 LA S2.300.1 for mid/highs

1 parametric eq/10V pre amp from Soundstream

big 3 done

missing HO alt+ AGM batteries

simple set up..