Sonic Electronix

Got a couple of noobish questions here

Alright, now I know my fair share in the car audio world, but a couple things have been bothering me for a while, and I want to get them off of my chest... I'll probably get some shit for this but I haven't been able to really find anything on this...

First off, when tuning an amp with a DMM or O-Scope, do you leave the speakers/subs hooked up or you you unhook them from the amp and insert the probes in the speaker outputs?

The other question is, is it better to run two or more subs in one chamber of a box or to give them each their own chambers?

Edited by lAutruche

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

is it better to run two or more subs in one chamber of a box or to give them each their own chambers?

this is dependent on your setup. running mono, i always run a common chamber enclosure, i seem to always be able to get much more efficiency this way. when running in a stereo configuration, always run separate chambers. with stereo configuration, some music doesnt play the same from left channel to right channel. with common chamber in a stereo configuration, the left channel playing while the right channel isnt would cause the right channel subwoofer to act like a passive radiator, and the left channel subwoofer would unload. passive radiator in itself isnt bad if thats the type enclosure your going for, but a floppy sub in a ported box is never good.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Anyone else want to chime in?

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

I agree with the above. Completely. I always use common for my subs but if you were to do speakers or L and R in the same box. Use separate chambers just like he said.

My First Build on SMD (Blow Through)

2004 Ford F-350 SD Lariat

Pioneer 3200BT DVD Deck

Infinity Reference Components not powered

Bully Dog Gauge Cluster Pyro, Turbo, Trans

SF3 SCT Tuner W/Customs

If you can't Join em' Crush em'

When using a DMM, yes. Unhook the speakers at the terminal and put in the + & - of the multimeter in there and set the voltage accordingly. With an o scope, I believe (I don't know first hand) you have the speakers hooked up and the o scope uses the sound waves produced by the speaker to determine if the signal is clean or clipped.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

With sealed enclosures its best to have each sub in its own space so the other subs aren't getting influenced in anyway from the pressure of the others and for ported you want to use a common chamber so you can tune the box as a whole.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

When using a DMM, yes. Unhook the speakers at the terminal and put in the + & - of the multimeter in there and set the voltage accordingly. With an o scope, I believe (I don't know first hand) you have the speakers hooked up and the o scope uses the sound waves produced by the speaker to determine if the signal is clean or clipped.

correct.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Wrong, an oscilloscope reads your electricity wavelengths, you use it the same way you use a DMM, when I first heard of them I thought the same thing though.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Wrong, an oscilloscope reads your electricity wavelengths, you use it the same way you use a DMM, when I first heard of them I thought the same thing though.

the amp needs to be under load when you use an oscope.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Alright, thanks everyone for getting back to me. that answers all of the questions that have been burning me.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick