2010 MECA World Finals Video's and Pics

GRITS

I didn't see db5 it was like 11pm when they went up on saturday and i went late back on sunday was mad at myself for fucking up in drive by I should of made top 2 but shit happens it was worth the drive met a lot of cool peeps and learned a lot next year will be better

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Okay, so where to begin.

It all really started because I didn’t get my 2nd K12 from Christoph until Thursday morning. The truck was already all loaded up and ready to go, figured I would just make a bracket and install it when I got to the show. Saturday morning we took the trucks out the trailer, got all the tents setup, and unhooked the big truck from the trailer (to go to the store). I could not go to a hardware store until I completed my qualifying run. So I decided to leave the amp inside the box to protect it since it was brand new and didn’t want to scratch it and hurt the retail value. So the amp in the box was strapped down and securely fastened. I then pulled into the lane to get verified.

Immediately the verifying judge said the was illegal and had to come out. I asked him why? He said because the amp was in front of the B-pillar. I said I had already talked to Steve Stern about it at World Finals last season, and talked to a few other judges. I then proceeded to show the Judge how it was legal.

Street Rules, Section D

• Pickup trucks: enclosure must not block any 2-way viewable glass. All equipment, excluding batteries, must be mounted in the cab of the truck.

a. Standard cab trucks: enclosure must fit behind seat in the most forward position. If aftermarket seats or factory replacement seats are added, and the factory brackets aren’t used, then the brackets to hold said seats down must be made to line up with the rear factory bolts as to not increase the area behind said seats.

b. Extended cab trucks: enclosure cannot extend past front door jams, but, factory jump seats may be removed

c. Quad/Crew cab, with 4 full size doors: the back seat must stay in, but enclosure may sit in seat.

The Enclosure cannot go about the rear window line, or past the B-pillar. All equipment must be mounted inside the cab. Only batteries are allowed to be in the bed. Now the enclosure is defined as

General Rules, Section E

2. The enclosure is defined as not only the sub box, but also any equipment attached to the sub box, i.e., amps, speakers, subwoofers, caps, batteries, etc.

My Enclosure was behind the B-pillar and below the rear window line as followed by the rules. My amp is what was in front of the B-pillar, however it was in no way shape or form attached to the enclosure. Now the amp is considered equipment and it was mounted inside the cab of the truck as followed by the rules.

Chris Gregory (I think the captain of Team Wall Street’s Finest) has caught wind of what was going on, and I think he saw my system and the potential it had, so he started putting his word in since he wrote the rules. He had no business talking with me and the judges since he was not even running my class. I turned around and said something to him. The judge then called over another judge for his input, I then proceeded to break down the rule again. After I was finished he said technically that was legal. Well then Chris and the First judge started arguing back and forth. They started saying how do we know what’s in the box, it could be concrete or something to increase my SPL score which would not be allowed. They asked why I left it in the box, I told them to protect the retail value since it was brand new, but I will go and take it out the box and lay a blanket down so it won’t get scratched. They finally came to the agreement to let me do what’s called a “provisionary run” and Steve Stern would come over and give a final ruling. Depending on what Steve said, the run I did will count, or they would DQ the run and I would have to make a change and be given another first run. The Truck was setup to do a 153. I pulled into the lane, everything was setup. I burped it, registered a 153.1. However when I went to pause it, my score increased to a 153.7 for some reason. I was told the Wall Streets Finest mouths just dropped, because they were only able to post a 152.7. I pulled the truck out of the lane and then we waited for Steve Stern to get there. He came over, went over everything, discussed it and the first judge still arguing that it was illegal along with Chris Gregory I believe. Finally came to the agreement to take the amp out of the box and refasten it. I was given 5 minutes to do so, or my first run would be DQ’ed. Got everything fixed and was pulling back into the lane, now all of Team Wall Street’s Finest team was there watching along with many spectators. I got out of the truck and kept getting looks and hearing nasty comments. It didn’t bother me. As they were setting the mic in the truck I finally heard one comment that just really pushed a button, and made me mad. So I decided to give them a little taste of my score for Sunday.

I was finally setup to do my “First Run” again, before giving them the thumbs up that I was ready, I reached in cut my truck off and took the keys out of the truck. Someone was standing next to me or something; I said truck off and one amp still and proceeded to burp. I posted a 156.4. This was 3.7 DB’s higher than their score, but also keep in mind this was a new world record. They most anyone has ever done in Street class in the history of MECA metering at the Headrest was in Street 5 (unlimited subs and power) and that was a 156.0. I am in street 4 and posted that score playing around. Team Wall Street’s Finest got their rule books out again and started looking through for something. The rest of the show I was told that was all they were doing.

Couple hours later and kid walks up to me and was asking about my Air Ride setup and how much would it cost to do it himself. We sat there talking about it for a few mins and going over different prices and options, said he had a White S-10 reg cab that had a cut through and would he be able to do it still. I had no idea who he was. He then asked if he could take a look at inside my truck and started walking towards it from the bed. That’s when it all clicked in my head. He was the son of the guy that was in my class, DR Kirkland. Member of Wall Street’s Finest. I told him no, I had to do something he can come back later (trying to be nice). That’s when I confirmed by him walking back over to where a couple of his teammates was standing. They sent a kid over my age to try and find out dirt on me by him taking his Team Jersey off, putting a hat on and tucking it down real low to cover up as much of his face as possible.

That was the end of our run ins for that night; however that is not the end of the story. I was told they spent the majority of the night going over the schematics of my truck online, with the rule book next to them. Well I got to hand it to them, they found a piece and confirmed it on someone’s S-10. On the back wall, in the center of the cab, at the very bottom there are 2 little lips that stick out and hold the Spair Jack in place. Now keep in mind Chris Gregory, the team captain or whatever he is helps right the rules and is on the MECA Committee. They figured that this would be the best thing to protest saying I cut it out because of the amount of time it would take for me to disassemble my system to show them that I didn’t.

My box sits firmly against the back wall at the top of the window, however the back wall “tapers” outwards as it goes down. By the time it gets down to where the said piece is, I could fit 3 fingers in-between the box and back wall. The piece sticks out at most a 1”. My 3 fingers is over 2”s

Next morning I start getting word back of what was happening because they were in the hotel lobby eating breakfast bragging and talking about it. They knew I was already gone to the fair grounds to finish hooking up my 2nd amp and start testing. Soon as people started getting back to the fair grounds they started coming up and telling me what was happening. Sure enough after the Judges got the SPL lane setup, the 2 head judges came over to tell me an official protest has been filed and what was being protested. I told them that is fine, I will take apart me whole truck to show them, however I was going to need time, I might have exaggerated a little bit by saying it could take up to a week. Honestly I had no idea how long it would take because it took us working non-stop four weeks to put everything together. The 2 judges then left. I happened to look up and didn’t see them at the SPL tent, and saw them way across the fairgrounds about to go into a building. I was figuring they went to talk to Steve Stern. I started to walk away from the truck, looked back and told everyone there helping me to shut the truck completely up and cover it up while I am gone. My dad decided to follow me. We got to the building and they were talking to Steve so we walked up. We joined in on the conversation and I proceeded to tell Steve that I have no problems taking everything apart me and my dad will stay here and completely rip it apart for them, but it will take me up to a week. He said you can’t take that long, I asked him to show me in the rules where it says there is a time limit on it. He said well that isn’t in the rules, it’s more like the spirit of nature since today is the competition. Now remember I had already asked Judges if it was fine for me to attach my box the way I did before I started doing anything and they said yes. I asked what about Drive-by, since I am qualified for drive-by, he said I would have time until they present trophies to show them. Dad said it can’t be done, they then told us we would have to be DQ’ed and the person that placed 4th on Saturday would be moved up to compete today. They had been bad mouthing and cussing me all day yesterday, all night, and started that morning already. Now I will agree that might have been out of line, but it’s the way I felt. Especially for them to send over his kid and disguise himself.

This is when I “zone” out trying to think of something or someway to come up with an idea so they can see it and started to walk away. Apparently my dad made a comment “Fine let’s just go pack up, I wonder what DB drag is like.” This was confirmed by the Judges and me asking my Dad. But the Judges also said they asked if this was a with drawl from the competition and my Dad said yes. I asked him and he said they asked him no such thing. After we had walked out of the building something hit me, what if I take a mirror and shine a light back there can they see it. So I ran back inside and told him I came up with something, I will go try it. They told me “No you are done” I asked what they meant they said I withdrew from the competition, which I did no such thing, supposedly my Dad did. But here is another thing, I am the competitor, the one who paid, and the one who’s name the truck is under. I did not say I withdraw from the competition. They told me that I choose to bring my Dad in here as my “Representative” and he was the one that made the decision for me. I said I did not say that, they then told me that by me allowing him to come into the building and allow him to speak the way he did that they took it that he was my representative. I asked them what was I supposed to do, tell him to stop talking and leave? He is my Dad, a parent; only doing what a parent is supposed to do. That is look after their child. He has put a whole lot of time and work in this for me, I mean heck he just stayed up for 36 straight hours and drove to pick up my second amp so I could have it for Finals while I finished my truck up, and I had college class that night. They said they are done with the situation as far as they are concerned, I have withdrew from the Competition. I realized Rick had it out for me because I had proved him wrong when I was getting verified the previous day. I had showed him he was wrong in front of the whole crowd and the rest of the judges. I left and returned to the trailer where we was going to pack up and go home.

A good friend of mine then went to go talk to Steve himself by himself and came back saying Steve said I can compete, and that he actually wants to see me compete. My dad said no, we have had enough and are going home. It hit me that I couldn’t however, if I did that not only did Wall Street’s Finest win but nobody would know what really happened and how I had agreed to take the truck apart and think that I was protested and I folded and went home because I had something to hide. So then me and my friend went back and talked to Steve and where he told me that he wants me to compete but Rick has the final say. So we then left and tried talking to Rick, but he avoided me it seemed like. They were having problems with the TL mic reading correctly but he had time to talk to other competitors while this was going on. Finally Steve came to the SPL tent and was helping with fixing the mic. Rick was walking back to the tent and I walked in front and asked if we could talk, (I had already said sorry earlier for any misunderstandings and said sorry again) he just put his finger up as a gesture to 1 minute. He walked under the tent and him and Steve started talking. I started to slowly walk over and saw Steve said that I could compete. Rick must of seen me standing there and they walked farther away so I figured I wasn’t allowed in the conversation. When the 2 came back Steve’s attitude on the whole situation completely changed. His tone of voice and words he choose were very strict and harsh meaning we are tired of you, go back over there and quit bothering us we have made our decision. This is when it REALLY got bad, and I hate to say it but I lost it. I started tearing up. I had put so much time, and hard back breaking work and most importantly money in that day to be done like this. But that’s not it, a lot of my sponsors have put money into that day as well but not in the normal “competitor pricing” stuff. I had them to think about on what this meant. Then there was the XS power pay out that had just been pulled out of my hands as well. After the crowd saw this happening and they we’re moved by it and putting their word in it as well. I had to leave from the area before my emotions got the best of me and I lost control. After I calmed down people had came up to me and asked if I was willing to give the demo now because they had asked for it on Saturday and I told them I had to wait till after I was done on Sunday incase I blew something. So I gave them their demo. Well I was over 100 feet away from the mic easily and I started to demo. With both amps in the truck was so loud that I’m not sure if it messed with the mic in the persons car or the fact that they couldn’t hear anything at the lane. They we’re yelling through the PA system for me to turn my truck off but I was in it and couldn’t hear anything, the people that was standing on the other side of the truck (side where the mic was) we’re 10-15 feet away and they couldn’t hear the PA as well. That’s when someone came running over telling me to turn it off but it was too late. Steve Stern had already come over and told us to leave the event. I was sitting there thinking, I am at a stereo show the biggest one of the year and I can’t even Demo. So I decided to yell to them that I’m sorry that I am too loud to be allowed here. I had flat out had enough. I realized that Street 4 class was about to come up so we took our time on loading the trailer of the supplies and tents and orgainizing everything that was scattered throughout the trailer to pull both vehicles back in. We finished up after the 2nd person had went in Street 4 and DR Kirkland was up next (Team Wall Streets’ Finest). In order for me to get the truck in the trailer I had to pull a circle and go around the lane and come back by. So I decided to give them a nice little demo as I made my circle around to pull it into the trailer. I happened to come right by the truck and the bass hit as they was starting the TL. That was my last action against the whole thing.

My teammate Mickey Johnson won his class, street 5. However after he made his run and beat Bud Ballinger he protested about the same issue as me in my truck but claims that it wasn’t about the jack stand he just didn’t agree with the ruling on the way our amps was mounted. Now luckily enough his box was not bolted in or anything because Mickey doesn’t drive his like I do mine. That morning we had checked his already and it was there. When Mickey first got his truck he took the truck like it came from the factory to a local shop and had them do his install. They did the wiring, building, interior, and deadner. He got his truck back with everything installed and that was it, not pictures nothing. So we pulled his box out and cut his deadner to the spot where the jack holder was supposed to be at. It was there, however it had been hammered over flat against the back wall. Now that was a non permanent modification because it could be bent back in place. Someone went and asked the judges and Chris Gregory himself and they all said that was fine. Well after Mickey won Street 5 and pulled over to get verified on that, I was thinking that’s fine, its there, congrats Mickey. I was trying to stay out of it, but was watching them look at things. He slide the box forward so you could see back there. You can clearly see it from that position. They made him take his seats out and slide if even farther forward. This is when I got concerned so I stepped in and started helping Mickey, and stayed there for when the Judges inspected it again. They said it looks like it has been cut. I kept my cool and said no it is not cut, its clearly right there just hammered against the back wall which you said was legal. Mickey then proceded to tell them how he didn’t do his first install and a local shop did it and did not find out about that piece being there until today. They said well when it was hammered back against the back wall it looks like they broke off a piece on it. This is when I realized Mickey got screwed as well. I tried one last thing, I asked the judges that you have to verify that the piece is there, well can you verify us that you know exactly what it us supposed to look like. Scott Kerns said he started to walk around to find one but quit and he got out his smart phone and was going to find a picture I assume. Then I believe he said it was dead or didn’t have service. Forget what exactly was said but basically saying he’s not going to prove to me. My Droid was working perfectly find and had full service. He said he has worked on S-10’s before and knows what its supposed to look like and there is a piece missing. Bud then made another comment that “he hates to win like this, but he did what he had to do.” No you had a choice. We are all supposed to be friends. We are “serious” competitors for 5 secs out of the whole year, and supposed to be friends for the remainder of 364 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 55 secs. Well now we are serious competitors for 365 days.

This is a pretty good summary of what all exactly happened this weekend, I would like to thank once again all the support I received before the show, during the show, while this whole mess went on, to after I gave my last word or should I say “noise” in it, to my ride home. It truly means a lot.

Most importantly to all my friends that came from all over the country to come watch me compete at finals. I am sorry for the way things happened, money you wasted, and witnessed what you saw. I have NEVER acted like those instances in my life at any event/sport. I always keep good sportsmanship no matter if I get my butt spanked or I “own” somebody. At the end of the day, it’s all supposed to be fun and games just turned out that’s not possibly with Team Wall Street’s Finest and two embarrassed judges…

Also would like to add, that I had no influence on these threads to get started, I did not tell anyone to do so or give any hints or ideas on starting one

damn. thats some seriously messed up stuff

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

We went there and I didn't even care to watch any of the event because it seems that nowadays alot of competitors play sneaky ass games like sandbagging and stupid shit to cheat... If you cant beat someone fair and square... take your sorry ass home... I see alot of people, good honest poeple, with really nice and LOUD systems getting fucked by competitors that cheat thier asses off... It seems like most of the problems are here on the east coast... alot of people I met from the west coast aren't used to the cheating and sandbagging... To me it took the fun out of competition...

I remember YEARS ago when installation was a major part of the score even in SPL... nowadays you can just grab a shitload of junk from a dumpster in a pos shitbox car and as long as you can play a note, you are in... That is my opinion, sorry if I offended anyone, that is not my intention... But, if I offended you, you are probably one of the people taking the fun out of the sport...

Dam, So Meca should be interesting for me to get into lol. I went to the Wall Streets Finest Final event and they all seemed really cocky, It was my first event so I didn't really know much of what to do, while they where bitching about me doing a clinic for 10mins everyone else there was helping lol.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

4 FT1s

C1600.2

8 PWX 8s
ONX2.100

Audio Technix Wiring & Sound Deadener

My Youtube

Feedback

Archived