hi, i got a 79 cutlass ive been working on, it was in an accident then sat for 10 years and got extremly rusty. i fix the front of the car that was in the accident, but the back half of the car is rusty. the surface rust came off good from just sanding it to bare metal. theres a lot of rust that i cant seem to get up though. i started on on the trunk, all the surface rust came up, but in some parts the metal is black(idk what thats called), and i cant sand that off. I was using 150 but it wasnt doing much of anything so then i started using 100 and it did seem to help get it off much, any ideas?

heres some pic so u can get a better idea of what im working with:

car sat like this for 10 years in the sun:

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

After I fixed the front a month ago mysef

(ready to get a real paint job, thats just my prime spray paint job temporarily, lol)

IMG_0563.jpg

All the rust im trying to remove

(other side of car still looks good with no rust for some reason, idk)

IMG_0559.jpg

any ideas on how to get this off easier would be nice, kinda sick of sanding for hours with not much of results

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab - Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT - Rockford Fosgate T1500-1 - Probox 2 10's - Rockford Fosgate T600-4 - 3 sets of Rockford Fosgate T2652-S's

1968 VW Bug 1914cc

go rent a sandblaster... or get nasty with a really low grit.

hondasig.jpg

1992 Honda Accord LX

Head Unit: Alpine X-001

Mids/Highs Front: Rockford Fosgate P1652-S Components

Mids/Highs Rear: Rockford Fosgate P1653 3-Ways

Mids/Highs Amp: Hifonics Zxi6410

Sub: Fi 15" BTL With HiXmCoil Option

Sub Amp: Hifonics Bxi2008D

Enclosure: 5.2Cubes Gross Tuned at 31Hz

Wiring: One Run Of 0g

Alternator: Load Boss 170amp

i would say just get a another trunk lid from the junk yard and for the rust i dont know how to fix that but i do know that u have to use epoxy primer so the rust wont come back i learned that the hard way so dont go cheap when ur gonna DIY cuz u will end up spending double just my opinion o and by the way nice A body would like to see it when its all fixed up

Edited by jl_audio

cowboys_logo.gif

go rent a sandblaster... or get nasty with a really low grit.

do NOT get a sand blaster instead use a soda blaster its much much easier and doesnt pit like a sand blaster will. Its what I used on my 68 cutless and made my life so much easier.

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

it would be easier if we saw pics of what it looks like now. and if your going down to bare metal anyway, you can go all the way down to 40 grit if you want to, just dont use it on a grinder. some of those pieces may need to be cut out and replaced.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

DO NOT sand or sandblast the car as your only removing metal and thats the last thing you want to do, take it and pay someone to media blast it as it will actually look like new and smooth the metal vs. pitting it with sand paper and sandblasting.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

DO NOT sand or sandblast the car as your only removing metal and thats the last thing you want to do, take it and pay someone to media blast it as it will actually look like new and smooth the metal vs. pitting it with sand paper and sandblasting.

sanding (on a block) removes such little metal that it wouldnt matter. you dont need just a media blaster to do this kind of work. and most likely, pitting the metal will be the least of his problems when everything gets cleared up. the metal is already pitted like hell from the rust thats eating through it. you make it sound like sanding would be the worst thing in the world and media blasting is his only option. while media blasting is probably the best option, it IS NOT the only one. and no it will not always look like new. it depends how far down the rust has eaten. he might end up with back panels that look like swiss cheese anyway.

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco