Sonic Electronix

Physical Port Length vs Port Length

the port area is fine

Why are you asking if you don't listen to advice? The damn application says you have too much port

Edit: I mis-understood something

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

i did not build my calculator according to JL audio, so of course it will differ.

cashdollar, thanks for posting your amazing paint skillz :D you are pretty much spot on :clapping: except for the common walls. when looking at the port head on, common port walls is how many sides of the box share the face of the port. so yes, as hdorre said you'd want 3 common walls.

but yes physical port length is just that, the length of the physical port. the wood is the physical part. it's the inner part of the port, so it does not need to be as long because in instances where the port bends, the 90º angle accounts for the 'loss' of the port length. the effective port length is the cyan colored port length that is pictured above. aka the port length you enter into the box.

ignore the end correction. the calculator already takes that into effect when doing slot ports.

Why are you asking if you don't listen to advice? The damn application says you have too much port

just too much according to the 'rule of thumb' rule. i think i'm going to take that box out because it's just that, a general rule of thumb and not a set rule to go by. not a 'right or wrong' case, unless there's something like 5 sq inches per foot lol

just too much according to the 'rule of thumb' rule. i think i'm going to take that box out because it's just that, a general rule of thumb and not a set rule to go by. not a 'right or wrong' case, unless there's something like 5 sq inches per foot lol

I didn't realize the app went by the "rule of thumb" rule. I thought it calculated the recommended some other way by using math. My bad

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

nah you're fine :friends:. i put that there for people that were new and weren't aware of how much port area to use as a thing to go by. but...in lots of screen shots i've seen, it doesn't quite seem to help. i really have seen it get down to 5 sq inches per foot lol.

to my knowledge there is no set rule on port area. it all just varies from application to application.

i did not build my calculator according to JL audio, so of course it will differ.

cashdollar, thanks for posting your amazing paint skillz :D you are pretty much spot on :clapping: except for the common walls. when looking at the port head on, common port walls is how many sides of the box share the face of the port. so yes, as hdorre said you'd want 3 common walls.

but yes physical port length is just that, the length of the physical port. the wood is the physical part. it's the inner part of the port, so it does not need to be as long because in instances where the port bends, the 90º angle accounts for the 'loss' of the port length. the effective port length is the cyan colored port length that is pictured above. aka the port length you enter into the box.

ignore the end correction. the calculator already takes that into effect when doing slot ports.

This is why I said I was guessing, I don't know to much about ports. I didn't realize physical port was not a standard measurement. Now I know :)

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

i really have seen it get down to 5 sq inches per foot lol.

to my knowledge there is no set rule on port area. it all just varies from application to application.

Haha..too funny

Yeah, I read that explorers like more port area.

LMFAO so true

good to know

and will take that into account for the next box build

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log