Sonic Electronix

I found an amp pushing 900W at 4ohms RMS that i'm probably going to use. So that's 450 to each 400RMS sub, which brings my next question, is it safe to run a 400RMS/1200Peak sub at 450 watts continuously? obviously i can adjust the gain and levels so i don't exceed 400, but I'm curios whether or not i'd have to.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

First of all, "4/1=1"...No. 4/1 is 4. and i was going off this diagram: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

LOL, sorry jackass, you really need to learn what you're talking about before you correct someone.

That diagram is (4x2)/2=4

Each sub is in series for an 8 ohm load each, paralelled together for a final 4 ohm load.

If the coils were all 4 - 4 ohm set into paralell, it would be a single 1 ohm load. ( 4/1=1)

You could also do 2 - 2 ohm loads (4/2=2 and 4/2=2) or 2 8 ohm loads (4*2=8 4*2=8 ).

LOL, sorry jackass, you really need to learn what you're talking about before you correct someone.

That diagram is (4x2)/2=4

Each sub is in series for an 8 ohm load each, paralelled together for a final 4 ohm load.

If the coils were all 4 - 4 ohm set into paralell, it would be a single 1 ohm load. ( 4/1=1)

You could also do 2 - 2 ohm loads (4/2=2 and 4/2=2) or 2 8 ohm loads (4*2=8 4*2=8 ).

Ok maybe i'm getting this wrong, why would 4 ohms in parallel be denoted 4/1 = 1? why isn't it 4/4 = 1? the literal math denoted "4 divided by 1 = 1" is wrong. I didn't mean to come off as a smart ass, I literally don't get the math. I know it's 1 ohm, using the resistance formula, because 4 4ohm loads is 1/(4/4) which is 1. where did u get 4/1=1? Don't need start slinging insults, jst explain yourself.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

dude just use this im getting a headache http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

--2004 Toyota 4runner

New Build Log

-2002 Acura Tl-S

Old Build Log

Team DC Audio

ttf.png

spl dust is an option you can get on the coils... it's great for extra 1000 watts of power

where can i get this spl dust and how much is it. is it hard to apply? lol

Yea, believe it or not a lot class D's arent that effiecnt either. The JL Audio 500/1 only runs about 63% effieciency and a large amount of amps you find on ebay are around the same. They just dont publish the efficiency rating.

A 400 watt per channel a/b is not going to kill your electrical system. We use to all run them before D class was even around.

I am adding this.

For the record, I am not equating The JL Audio Slash series amp with general ebay amp. They are a very solid built amp with a specific purpose.

There quite a few 80+ efficient or even 90+% efficient amps. ;) class D

But there are also a few 60+% efficient class AB amps. :)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Ok maybe i'm getting this wrong, why would 4 ohms in parallel be denoted 4/1 = 1? why isn't it 4/4 = 1? the literal math denoted "4 divided by 1 = 1" is wrong. I didn't mean to come off as a smart ass, I literally don't get the math.

You're right, it was a typo. it was supposed to be 4/4. good catch.

So the math is simple really.

paralell = divide common load by number of loads

series = multiply common load by number of loads.

You're right, it was a typo. it was supposed to be 4/4. good catch.

So the math is simple really.

paralell = divide common load by number of loads

series = multiply common load by number of loads.

Ok thank you. again, didn't mean to come off as a jackass. i was just very confused.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!