Sonic Electronix

How about for efficiency's sake? Lets just assume same sub, same power to the speaker, etc... Would a smaller or louder box get louder? Would a different size box affect high / low frequency response?

Again, assuming it is a sealed box. I know about it with ported, but not with sealed.

This is from someones sig. on another site:

Hoffman's Iron Law: "You can have low end extension, high efficiency, or small enclosure size. Pick two."

So pretty much, a bigger box is more efficient and can play lower.

EDIT: oh, wait, this is with ported, not sealed as you are asking. Yes, a bigger sealed box should be more efficient.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

This is from someones sig. on another site:

So pretty much, a bigger box is more efficient and can play lower.

EDIT: oh, wait, this is with ported, not sealed as you are asking. Yes, a bigger sealed box should be more efficient.

Only variable being the sealed enclosure size, the larger box would have a lower F3 than the smaller one.

So, if I am understanding this right, the only reason I would want to go with a small sealed box would be due to space constraints.

How would I calculate the f3 of a sealed box?

• 5 years later...

I have to completely disagree with Ascendant15 in that using a recomended ported sub in a sealed box will shorten the life of the sub.Due to the small space in my mother n law's car the only option was for a small sealed box however,because she did not check with me first on what subwoofer to get she got one 12 for for a steal of a price. The recomended box for this sub only gave dimensions for a ported box however thru my experience i calculated a small sealed enclosure that i thot would do the job perfectly for what she was looking for,she is a bass head at heart but not busting ur ear drum loud. Knowing that the sub required a ported box i put a little bit of polyester stuffing into the box to make the sub think it was in a bigger box. That was about 8-10 yrs ago and she still has the same setup in her car today. The sub has never given her any problems at all and sounds awesome when her neighbors dont complain about her pounding in the driveway.lol.

Wow. First post is to dig up a thread from November.

2010!!! I'm glad I'm not the new guy anymore! LOL!!!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived