Can fiberglass hold up to exhaust temperatures?

rusty959

My sisters car (93 probe gt, used to be mine) has a couple leaky spots in the exhaust due to a bad weld job cutting out the cat. In order to properly weld it up id need to unbolt the section but so far ive had no luck doing so. Bolts that have been in the weather for 18 years don't like to budge. While the car was mine I didn't mind the slight smell of exhaust around, but now that my sister is driving it and pregnant... apparently its a big deal. Ive tried wrapping the sections with exhaust wrap with no luck.

My main question is whether or not I could safely cover the area with fiberglass. I know there are fiberglass wraps for headers and stuff for heat purposes but there isn't resin in those. Does anyone know if it would be safe? I get the feeling it would eventually crack from the heat differences, but as long as safety wasn't an issue I figure it is worth a try. All ive been able to find online is some fiberglass pipes for boats but I don't know if that is the same type of resin or not.

on mine i went to auto zone and bought that black wrap stuff and it held pretty well and still holding. but let someone weld it since its a safety issue and all.

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

She tried that... Something about not having a cat and they wouldn't do it. Plus I don't see what they have access to to get the bolts off that I don't. (big wrench, breaker bar, penetrating spray, impact wrench, etc) Not that they couldn't get it off... but it wouldn't be as simple as a $10-15 job.

However it would be, Im just needing to find out if it is safe to fiberglass on an exhaust pipe. If it is, problem solved, ill throw as many layers on as needed to keep it from cracking instantly.

Edit: I tried the wrap stuff but it didn't seal very well due to it not being a completely flat.

She tried that... Something about not having a cat and they wouldn't do it. Plus I don't see what they have access to to get the bolts off that I don't. (big wrench, breaker bar, penetrating spray, impact wrench, etc) Not that they couldn't get it off... but it wouldn't be as simple as a $10-15 job.

However it would be, Im just needing to find out if it is safe to fiberglass on an exhaust pipe. If it is, problem solved, ill throw as many layers on as needed to keep it from cracking instantly.

Edit: I tried the wrap stuff but it didn't seal very well due to it not being a completely flat.

I have seen fairings on planes that didn't touch the exhaust, but was close to it, and they had to use a fire retardant resin. I really don't think I would be using even that directly on the pipe itself. As you already mentioned yourself, different expansion rates would have it leaking right away anyways.

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

If you put fiberglass resin, any kind that is commercially available, it will catch on fire. So don't do that. You would need an industrial grade that you can't get without a license for it.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

look for permatex muffler and tailpipe bandage or putty. its not expensive and made to fix exhaust and will hold better than anything you will try. follow the directions and you will have no issues

look here so you can see what im talkin about http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/exhaust_system_maintenance_repair.htm

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw the responses and thus didn't try anything but never got around to replying. Ive tried using both putty and tape on different occasions. The putty worked fairly well but eventually worked its way off. The tape just didn't do much. I think I may have needed to use more though. I guess I will now try using both at the same time maybe? Use the putty on the pipe and then wrap it with the wrap. Might hold it in place better.

Archived