Okay, I've noticed it only does it really bad when my engine is cold and I'm pulling out of my neighborhood before school, but as I accelerated from 1st to 2nd gear in my 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, something happens. Basically the rpms get really high and it doesn't shift, and when it does shift the tires squeal and the car lurches forward. After it does this once the car drives pretty smooth again. It usually only happens when the cars been sitting in the garage overnight or when the engine's cold.

Any suggestions?

(p.s. the car is automatic.)

(p.s. goodyear told me that the aftermarket exhaust has a few leaks in it, would that also result in a loss of power or anything noticeable?)

Edited by chrisiseffincool

Current Setup:

VW GTI 1.8T '02

1 15" Fi BTL

Sundown SAZ-1500D

Box-4.3 cubes

My dodge neon does the same thing, best to let it warm up a tad before driving but if you can't wait then just when it's ready to shift just give it a few quick rev's to engage the gear instead of stomping on the throttle. Mine will happen between 2nd and 3rd gears so i have to get to around 50 mph before it will engage the gear so i just keep it in 2nd till 50 and then put it in drive and it will shift fine after that. considering what trans shops charge to rebuild them for me its just easier to let it go for now since i got this one from the JY after the diff pin slipped out trashing my other tranny with a broken transmission case.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

When was the last time the transmission was serviced?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Those transmissions r known to have some valve body problems that can cause a delayed and hard 1~2 shift. Prolly expensive to fix. Better just try to let it shift easy so it will last longer or get ready to spend a couple thousand when its time for a rebuild

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit