Is audacity good enough to prevent clipping?

I think I understand now.

But generally, will I be able to hear clipping?

Here is gucci man - I get money I ripped from youtube.

Look alright?

guccimoney.png

depends on how severe the clipping is. most of the time no, but on some songs where the dj's try to make the song sound super loud, you can hear clipping then. sometimes...sometimes.

song looks fine as long as you dont see any squared off waves.

ok, this got me wondering. i got MANY music programs on my pc since i mix and what not anyways after some playing with audacity, there is a way to around off those flat spots in the sine wane, so there not so square, saw, or triangle. but problem is its VERY time comsuming to try and do it to a whole song and you got to take your time and know what your doing to get them in a nice wave from again. i'll do what kranny did and make a sample pic so you can see what i'm talking about. will post back soon once i'm done

Just a question, since im pretty new to the whole "clipping songs" age aka: ipod, mp3 players... Can a clipped song really damage your system if your system isn't clipping? If that makes any sense... I've had songs that i've downloaded, and sounded different/crappy, but never hurt my system before... Just curious...

There are some older songs, or even certain cd's where the cd is clipped even on older cd's.

It just depends on how the guys at the studio fked up. (Electric guitar's use distortion to sound distorted :P so some songs with severe solo's can hurt you're mids. ;))

And a clipped song will damage you're system even if it has been set with a o-scope to not clip with a 0db test tone.

Most of the time, 99.999999999%of the people can't hear clipping in a song, even when if u look at the song in audacity or o-scope it will be quite severe clipping.

So yes a clipped song is dangerous for you're system, because the song is clipped from the source itself (it's even worse) because you amplify the clipping.

EDIT: LordArcane, yes that is possible but it takes a amazing long time to "unclip" a whole song, so that's maybe why nobody has recommended it.(you can even do that in audacity.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

ok. first your going to want to normalize the track to like -5 or more, then go thru with the envelope tool and round off all the flat wave to a good normal arc. given i'm not 100% sure this will fix it but this is close as i could come. and as i said befor this is going to take ALOT of time for a whole song. once your done with the song you should be able to normalize it back to 0

once again i'm not 100% sure this will fix clipping and not responsible for any damage this may or may not cause. try this at your own risk!

clip.png

Kranny is spot on.

I use Audacity, but only to add bass sometimes and to amplify songs right up to the point of clipping. But if you get one that is clipped or has been clipped and lower it- it is still clipped.

I am actually working on a whole MESS of SQ songs right now. LOL

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Look at a lot of older songs like early 2000's Dr. Dre stuff where he didn't use long drawn out bass lines, just hard hits which caused clipping but I play them with no issue or fear. Now if you're blasting Swing My Door (I couldn't even get thru 10 secs since it sounds like shit) and other songs with a high amount of clipping (a lot of southern mixtapes) continuously then I would worry...look at songs off Timbaland's "Shock Value", all of them are clipped but I still play Kill Yourself

It's nice to have songs like "Gumbo Pot" by Shady Nate come around though, hella loud with no clipping...AK47 (producer) is a beast

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Look at a lot of older songs like early 2000's Dr. Dre stuff where he didn't use long drawn out bass lines, just hard hits which caused clipping but I play them with no issue or fear. Now if you're blasting Swing My Door (I couldn't even get thru 10 secs since it sounds like shit) and other songs with a high amount of clipping (a lot of southern mixtapes) continuously then I would worry...look at songs off Timbaland's "Shock Value", all of them are clipped but I still play Kill Yourself

It's nice to have songs like "Gumbo Pot" by Shady Nate come around though, hella loud with no clipping...AK47 (producer) is a beast

But you are talking about highly noticeable clipping...

So I'm just going to throw this out there, but, if you don't notice the clipping, it's probably not doing harm? And if you do notice it, it's doing harm?

I've used this method on just about everything, and I can't say I've ever had any damaged audio devices - whatever it may have been.

i suck men dry...email me for details

Just a question, since im pretty new to the whole "clipping songs" age aka: ipod, mp3 players... Can a clipped song really damage your system if your system isn't clipping? If that makes any sense... I've had songs that i've downloaded, and sounded different/crappy, but never hurt my system before... Just curious...

There are some older songs, or even certain cd's where the cd is clipped even on older cd's.

It just depends on how the guys at the studio fked up. (Electric guitar's use distortion to sound distorted :P so some songs with severe solo's can hurt you're mids. ;))

And a clipped song will damage you're system even if it has been set with a o-scope to not clip with a 0db test tone.

Most of the time, 99.999999999%of the people can't hear clipping in a song, even when if u look at the song in audacity or o-scope it will be quite severe clipping.

So yes a clipped song is dangerous for you're system, because the song is clipped from the source itself (it's even worse) because you amplify the clipping.

EDIT: LordArcane, yes that is possible but it takes a amazing long time to "unclip" a whole song, so that's maybe why nobody has recommended it.(you can even do that in audacity.)

Doesn't affect that much, low freqeuncy drivers are more vulnerable to clipping then midrange or tweeters, because they use a forced cooling system.

They need to move to cool down, a tweeter or a midrange doesn't moves it just dissapate's(sp?) heat, it doesn't uses moving air to cool itself down but ambient air.

I agree with most of that, but I've been rocking (playing) this music through my systems for the last 5 years and never once had an issue with any of my systems... Was I just lucky, or does it not affect it that much?

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived