Second Skin Audio

Sounstream XXX 15 Idea

Right... So I was bored one day watching Youtube, killing some time... I saw some soundstream subs. I went to their website and saw their xxx series.I noted that the power handling was 8500 watts. Can these handle the power?

I also decided to design a box for them, again because I was so bored. It came out to be 9.5 cubic feet (after displacement of everything in it) with 6, 6" aeroports tuned to 38 hz. I can also plug 2 of them and bring the tuning down to 31 hz.

As for port arrangement, I was planning on putting one on each of the 4 corners of the baffle, and 2 down the middle in between the subs.

The whole thing is to be cut from 1.5" mdf, and reinforced with 2x4s on the inside.

Then I got thinking: This could fit in a trunk, and I may actually want to do this in the future.

Can these subs really handle 8500 watts apiece? If so, I envision 16kw of subs in the trunk sometime in the future (evil grin)

Yeah, for short periods of time most people call "burps".

If you run them below tuning on a ton of power they'll stink like anything else.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Yeah, for short periods of time most people call "burps".

If you run them below tuning on a ton of power they'll stink like anything else.

So if I plug 2 ports and bring the tuning down to 31hz, they should be fine on 8000w rms for music?

arent you that guy who said you were gonna put

2 18s tune lows AND 2 12" fi btls tune high 80hz+ highhh

to have both the lows and highs covered.

i laugh everytime i see ur name i remember that post.

and if you want a xxx 15.i have one that needs a simple recone.

i think what STEvil is tryin to say is the coils can only take that kind of abuse for a short time like for compititions. if u try to run that kind of power to them all the time on music it will probly kill them quik. but if u split that 8k watts between them they should be ok

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

i think what STEvil is tryin to say is the coils can only take that kind of abuse for a short time like for compititions. if u try to run that kind of power to them all the time on music it will probly kill them quik. but if u split that 8k watts between them they should be ok

So the website specs are inflated? 8500w rms handling = 8500 peak?

No. I'm sure the xxx can handle 10k rms on burps. Is just not smart to run that for daily music . Is what they are saying .

Pe (watts) 8500(15) 10000(18) <-- from soundstream site

as stated that is most likely the highest rms ratings they can handles, but i believe it is a burp value, i doubt it is a continuous rating, id guess maybe half that for continuous use

No. I'm sure the xxx can handle 10k rms on burps. Is just not smart to run that for daily music . Is what they are saying .

Thanks for clearing that up.

I always thought that rms meant constant power, not peak. 'Learn something new every day, I guess.