Second Skin Audio

would brace mess up air flow?

I noticed my baffle flexes under high output and low freq bass. I bought a 2" circle wooden dowel and was going to put it directly in the middle of my box. question is, thats going to be inline with the middle of my port also. will this cause any disruption in the airflow going in the port? Is the brace worth it? I dont want my numbers to go down, but im curious to see if they go up. any advice will help thanks

MMS_Resized_Pix-10.jpg

my box

and the dowel

01-04-11_1529.jpg

Edited by dc98hoe

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

four 18s is alot of flex :) i would of used allthread but i dont want to pull the box its a pain. so i needed something meaty to toe-nail into on the bottom.

TEAM DC AUDIO

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

get all thread lol

Its 34deg outside and i dont have a garage to work in so allthread isnt a option plus im too lazy :)

I can get some big allthread too up too 3' :good:

TEAM DC AUDIO

Sometimes a flexing baffle actually enforces the bass instead of being a loss. Especially on really low frequencies. Also if its really flexing that bad, just toe nailing and gluing the dowel at the bottom, it will eventually break loose. But no, it wont affect airflow unless its really close to the port.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

a brace will mess up airflow a little. the thicker it is, the worse it will be. however, taking away flex in the box should gain. so maybe you lose .3 from a brace but you gain 1db from less flex. it will be worth it.

good luck making the joint strong though. see if you can use a jack or something to bend the box slightly. then you can slide the dowel in with some wood glue on it, then use your nails. there is going to be a lot of force on that dowel.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Sometimes a flexing baffle actually enforces the bass instead of being a loss. Especially on really low frequencies. Also if its really flexing that bad, just toe nailing and gluing the dowel at the bottom, it will eventually break loose. But no, it wont affect airflow unless its really close to the port.

Almost word fer word in my text response last night ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)