Second Skin Audio

subs bottoming out. got it figured out.

baaudio

so basically im runnin 6 10s now and im having trouble with one maybe two bottoming out. i makes a clunking kinda noise. not at low frequencies though. for example i play put on by young jeezy and the third or fourth tone i get it. im thinking its the enclosure and that they arent loading evenly and thats causing it to free-air in the box.

current box:

currentbox.png

im thinking the subs closest to the port exit are loading better and the ones closest to the port beginning are bottoming out.

new design:

newbox.png

im open to any input you guys have. it could just be a bad woofer who knows.

edit. all boxes have bracing, 45s, and rounded port sides. this was just a quick rendering

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

The new design would help with loading issues, but the real question is do you have your subsonic filter set right? Also, what is the box tuned to?

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

no subsonic filter on kicker amps unfortunately <_< but box is tuned to 32ish. but its not the low frequencies that bottom out. its more like high 30s

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

no subsonic filter on kicker amps unfortunately <_< but box is tuned to 32ish. but its not the low frequencies that bottom out. its more like high 30s

They have a built in 25Hz SSF, which is stupid. Ditch those amps dude, you need something with an adjustable SSF or your coil formers will be toast.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

well ive never had problems with it in the past. but obviously now somethings up. doesnt the subsonic only block lower frequencies though? cuz that still wouldnt explain why its fine playing low notes and hits on higher notes.

edit. its seeing a 3 ohm load which should be around 1000-1100 watts. pretty good electrical, never see below 13.5. so i dont think im overpowering them either

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

A subsonic filter is like a 'high pass' filter for your sub. it is to cut the power to frequencies that are lower than your tuning. if you are running a ported box, setting your SSF is second only to setting your gain and bass boost properly.

Playing under your tuning will cause you to lose a great deal of cone control due to not having the proper air density and velocities that are required to back the drivers mechanical movements.

This loss of cone control will severely limit the drivers mechanical power handling at those frequencies, and if you don't set your subsonic filter properly you will be allowing too much power to go into the woofer at those frequencies and can, and most likely will, cause the VC former to bottom out.

If you bottom out your VC former hard enough, you will smash it up to the point that it will no longer smoothly fit though your coil gap, and you will have this disgusting popping noise when the sub starts to reach a longer excursion. If you get to that point you have only 2 options: a recone, or if you have the proper equipment and skills, replacing the coil.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

And the reason its only those two is because the others have enough back pressure keeping the cone controlled better

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

And the reason its only those two is because the others have enough back pressure keeping the cone controlled better

Ah, it's only the back two? Then it is just a loading issue. Loading issues tend to come up when you do a box like your first picture, and can be resolved by doing a design like the second picture is.

If you rebuild the box and tune it the same, you may be fine with the fixed SSF on those amps, though I would still suggest getting amps with an adjustable SSF.

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd

Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

They have a built in 25Hz SSF, which is stupid. Ditch those amps dude, you need something with an adjustable SSF or your coil formers will be toast.

actually a 25 hz ssf is perfect for a 32 hz box.

the issue is the 2 subs above the port opening. the subs furthest away from the port opening are pushing air past these front two causing a negative pressure zone at the bottom of the wave right before the subs start to rebound. causes these subs to loose all control and back pressure right where the box is most efficient.

The new design should eliminate this effect.

Good luck op! :popcorn:

Edit: pretty much like you said in your next post lol.

Archived