Upgrade alternator in 98 jeep grand cherokee for subs.

i have 3 type R's and my subs make the whole truck just dies out. my voltage gauge drops to 9 volts and its a brand new batt. im sucking like 200 amps. and my stock alternator cant keep up and its 90 am oem altornator. i was wondering if a 136 amp altornator would work. and ill add another batterie out back. let me know guys

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

I have same jeep and Im at .5 ohm with 4000+ watts with stock alt and 2 batteries in back and like 150ish feet of 0 guage and I dont drop below 13.7 if Im driving at idle I gotta be careful cuz I drop to 12s. But I'm buyin an alt next. I would just buy an alt and extra batt if I were you then u have room to upgrade.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

anyother cheap way of getting better power. like i herd that a durango 5.2l or any dodge 5.2L engine altornator can fit on my jeep 5.2L soo i was thinking of getting a big amp alternator at the junk yard from a 5.2L enigne...let me know if this can be a better alternative.

Well....the sub or number of subs does not affect the current....your ohm load to the amp does. Turn the gains down, wire to a better ohm load pulling less current....have you done the big 3? This will help somewhat but I just don't see 1000 watts being such a huge draw.

I can't say whether or not a durango alternator is a direct replacement, but can say if you're going to upgrade, upgrade right the first time and contact Mechman.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I am running a little over 1k on my current stock 90 amp alt and am not having any voltage issues at all... Big 3 done and 1 run of 1/0 to the back

ill just try to get a red top batt out back and an 200 amp batt isolator between the front batt and the rear batt so i dont drain the front batt but yet charge the rear batt;) make sence:P?

Edited by guimond47