Sonic Electronix

whats the best way to build a subwoofer box. for 3 or 4 15's in a 1985 buick lesabre 4 door with 3 cvx's and a 5500 mono block amp. an a 220 amp alternator.it could b simple box or ported box. or what hit the harddest your help would b realy thankful this will b my first box i've built.also whats the best way to wire up the subs they r daul 4 ohms.

what are max dimensions to work with and what is the model of the amp, so we can get accurate rms values

height 1 foot 3 and half inches. w = 2 feet and a half and lenght is3 feet 10 inches an 1/4. the amp is a power acoustik ov1 5500d 5500max

DISCLAIMER: NOOB AT WORK HERE....by noob i mean me of course

# RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 1700 watts x 1 chan.

* 2 ohms: 2500 watts x 1 chan.

* 1 ohm: 3200 watts x 1 chan.

theres your mac rms ratings for that amp and i dunno about how well power acoustik is with their ratings, but its got 150 in total fuses, so im guessing it prolly wont do 3200rms but who knows

i think wiring the subs in parallel will present something like a 1.33 ohm load, all pos wired together and all neg wired together

so your dimensions seem to be 15.5 in X 30 in X 46.25 in

now to me wide and length are the same thing, when thinking dimensions i think tall, deep and wide, sure which dimension is length and width, but im guessing 30 deep and 46.25 length

considering they are 15s, that gives you almost no space

with those dimensions, youd prolly have to have subs facing up and port back or forward if you prefer, subs would prolly need to be put in a triangle formation, so 2 subs and then the third above them centered

those dimensions would give you roughly 10.33 cu ft after accounting for .75 thick mdf, which should be minimum id think with 3 15s

i honestly doubt that amp will give you 1k rms per sub, and thats if you wire them to close to 1 ohm, if you go them wired to work on 2 ohms, you would be underpowering them, which you will probably end up doing anyways

but min requirement for ported box is 3 cu ft so 10.33 would put you within tghe range of recommended box size for those, im not a box designer though so if you need someone to sketch you up one then youd have to ask around, but this may gived you an idea

id also wait for further confirmation, im just a noob

DISCLAIMER: NOOB AT WORK HERE....by noob i mean me of course

# RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 1700 watts x 1 chan.

* 2 ohms: 2500 watts x 1 chan.

* 1 ohm: 3200 watts x 1 chan.

theres your mac rms ratings for that amp and i dunno about how well power acoustik is with their ratings, but its got 150 in total fuses, so im guessing it prolly wont do 3200rms but who knows

i think wiring the subs in parallel will present something like a 1.33 ohm load, all pos wired together and all neg wired together

so your dimensions seem to be 15.5 in X 30 in X 46.25 in

now to me wide and length are the same thing, when thinking dimensions i think tall, deep and wide, sure which dimension is length and width, but im guessing 30 deep and 46.25 length

considering they are 15s, that gives you almost no space

with those dimensions, youd prolly have to have subs facing up and port back or forward if you prefer, subs would prolly need to be put in a triangle formation, so 2 subs and then the third above them centered

those dimensions would give you roughly 10.33 cu ft after accounting for .75 thick mdf, which should be minimum id think with 3 15s

i honestly doubt that amp will give you 1k rms per sub, and thats if you wire them to close to 1 ohm, if you go them wired to work on 2 ohms, you would be underpowering them, which you will probably end up doing anyways

but min requirement for ported box is 3 cu ft so 10.33 would put you within tghe range of recommended box size for those, im not a box designer though so if you need someone to sketch you up one then youd have to ask around, but this may gived you an idea

id also wait for further confirmation, im just a noob

ok thanks for the da info

A little slip, he said they where DVC so the omh load wil be half that wiring all in parallel. And i wouldn't advise him to do that.

His option (as i see it)if he want to run all three subs on that amp would be wiring them in a series-parallel setup at 2.67ohms:

3_4ohmDVC_267ohm.gif

But what about running two of them at 1ohm? He would get more power out of his amp , and have more room to give them a good box size. And if this is a daily driver, "just" two 15" should get him a long way. And i dont think he will suffer to bad from lost cone area given the amp gain..

I'd say use about twice that, atleast 1.25". Then the walls would be strong, and it will have a good weight to it..

As far as closed vs. ported box, thats kinda up to you to consider, depending on the type of music you like and how easy you want this to be.'

Another noob's 2c B)

Archived