How To Properly Fuse Amps and Rear Batteries

Did it Help  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did this Guide Help You?

• Yes - Thanks :D
    • No - Still Confused :( (Post Why So I Can Help)
    • Didn't Need the Help (Already Know How)
    • I am stupid! Why am I here?

Nice diagrams and info!

Thanks!! :P:drink40:

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

Now try explaining this to some people.... I hear way too often... "it will cause a voltage drop across the fuse and my DB's will go down" but in the same breath they will be the first to complain when something blows up because it was half arsed hooked up....

The ground running battery to battery really isn't going to do anything to help, if one properly abides by the basic installation rules. I tested this back in the old PPI (art series/pro mos) days, and over the years... if anything, when not grounded in the rear and just running the rear battery ground to the front battery, there is a pretty substantial voltage drop.

Now if it was just standardized for safety, like back in the days, then everyone could sleep better at night ;)

fuse any battery 12" or less, I have yet to see an alternator go bad where the battery couldn't absorb the problem (I am sure there is a few out there... but with some silly modified "special" marketed alternator that breaks all laws of physics... and usually doesn't last very long or is trouble free reliable operation

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

Now try explaining this to some people.... I hear way too often... "it will cause a voltage drop across the fuse and my DB's will go down" but in the same breath they will be the first to complain when something blows up because it was half arsed hooked up....

The ground running battery to battery really isn't going to do anything to help, if one properly abides by the basic installation rules. I tested this back in the old PPI (art series/pro mos) days, and over the years... if anything, when not grounded in the rear and just running the rear battery ground to the front battery, there is a pretty substantial voltage drop.

Now if it was just standardized for safety, like back in the days, then everyone could sleep better at night ;)

fuse any battery 12" or less, I have yet to see an alternator go bad where the battery couldn't absorb the problem (I am sure there is a few out there... but with some silly modified "special" marketed alternator that breaks all laws of physics... and usually doesn't last very long or is trouble free reliable operation

I personally do not have a second ground wire. The only time I have seen this do any good is for the really really large builds. It all depends on the frame of the vehicle too, as some cars have shitty frames with lots of wield joints, and some have rails that go all the way back up to the front of the vehicle. The reason for fusing the alternator wire is due to the battery still being able to short out. If the wire shorts, the alternator is going to get 0 resistance and go nuts, maxing out its load, and the battery is going to spill its guts due to the same thing. This is why I would fuse on each side, although the chances of something going wrong is low if installed right. Manufactures use fusible links to protect this kind of stuff.

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

I am not saying not to, and it is always pretty good to fuse power, especially when adding an alternator that you spent a lot of money on... However, if properly installed and ran like the factory would, your chances of having an issue is slim to none. I ran across many vehicles with fusible links and many without. However todays modern vehicles with computer controlled alternators shut the alternator off if a problem.

Most expensive alternator I have ever held was a $17k water cooled alternator for a Maybach, it was not fused and was being replaced because the diagnostic computer of the vehicle said there was a problem with it, though everything worked

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

glad you made this today, gonna be attempting my first alternator install tomorrow on my explorer, already watched a few vids on it, its a 250a mechman, so should i go ahead and put a 300a fuse on the + wire to battery?

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

glad you made this today, gonna be attempting my first alternator install tomorrow on my explorer, already watched a few vids on it, its a 250a mechman, so should i go ahead and put a 300a fuse on the + wire to battery?

thats what I would do, I am sure many people here will disagree, and some will agree. Its safer too, the fuse will blow if anything happens. One of the main things is to run the wire so it has no chance of getting cut and shorting, that is one of the main things.

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

With the front and rear battery setup...does the rear battery get charged like the front...and will this stop the lights dimming at stop lights?

Well your probably going to get a butt chewing for saying at stop lights but adding another battery in some cases with a low amount of wattage could help. But if you are like 3K+ then you would want to get a couple batteries and a alt.

You can also do the big3.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

With the front and rear battery setup...does the rear battery get charged like the front...and will this stop the lights dimming at stop lights?

Well your probably going to get a butt chewing for saying at stop lights but adding another battery in some cases with a low amount of wattage could help. But if you are like 3K+ then you would want to get a couple batteries and a alt.

You can also do the big3.

yea, no doubt about it

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

Archived