Alternator Bench Test

How can I bench test my new alternator? Im not going to install it for a few months cause its freakin 10 degrees outside so I just wanna see if it is what they say it is.

''The Darkest Souls Are Not Those Wich Choose To Exist Within The Hell Of The Abyss, But Those Wich Choose To Break Free From The Abyss And Move Silently Amoung Us''

If you can find something that can rotate the pulley thousands of times per minute, that's my guess. I have no idea what it takes to bench test an alt but I'm sure it has something to do with actually spinning the core of it to produce current.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

A $150,000 dollar machine that has a small variable rpm electric motor and wires that connect to the alt that measure voltage, current, and RPMs.

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

I think autozone tests them for free rite?

''The Darkest Souls Are Not Those Wich Choose To Exist Within The Hell Of The Abyss, But Those Wich Choose To Break Free From The Abyss And Move Silently Amoung Us''

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

As far as a cheap test bench that's worth building over just bolting into your car you aren't going to find it. You would have to have a motor with pulley that is very similar to your factory crank diameter, and capable of spinning a few thousand rpms. If you have a garage to build a test bench in- it would be quicker and cheaper to just pull your car in. If you don't you'd still have to build the test bench in the cold :shrug:

Then you would also need a spare battery, wire + terminals, a clamp meter, a DMM, and a load capable of pulling at least as much as your alternator is rated. You're looking at a big project to build at 10 degrees, best luck. :drinks:

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

so how do you know if your getting ripped off? They claim to be 250 amps but what if its like only 20 amps or some shit like that.

so how do you know if your getting ripped off? They claim to be 250 amps but what if its like only 20 amps or some shit like that.

Throw a clamp meter the wires off the positive post of the alternator once it is installed. Be sure to get both if you do the big 3 or it will be an inaccurate measurement.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

If you bought it off some random ebay person and not a real maker then you got ripped.

yea thats what I was thinking. My last alt. was a mech man 340 and I paied $600 for it and the one I just bought is a DC 270 and it was only $300. Im also going to do the big three and get a better battery. I have two optima yelows rite now but they went bad so Im also shopping around for somthing better.

Archived