Skills USA Competition (Advice From Any AutoBody guys)

So this is my first part of my auto body classes for my degree. For my degree I already took all my gen eds, and other automotive classes like steering and suspension, electrical, HVAC, etc. Well I got some exciting news from my instructor the other day. He selected me as one of the students to compete in the Skills USA regional comp in Kansas City!!! You see, my college has an articulated agreement with this big vo-tec school here where the credits transfer because my college doesn't have the autobody facilites like a paintbooth and everything. So I'm stuck with high school students and a handful of adult students. My main question is, has anybody ever been to a competition like this before?

My teacher told me I'd be doing the metal straightening portion. He said I'd have to do some welding, plastic repair, fender straightening, and a written test. Idk if there's anything else but I'm kinda nervous I'll just look like a douche in front of the judges.

Edited by dyeagain15

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

So this is my first part of my auto body classes for my degree. For my degree I already took all my gen eds, and other automotive classes like steering and suspension, electrical, HVAC, etc. Well I got some exciting news from my instructor the other day. He selected me as one of the students to compete in the Skills USA regional comp in Kansas City!!! You see, my college has an articulated agreement with this big vo-tec school here where the credits transfer because my college doesn't have the autobody facilites like a paintbooth and everything. So I'm stuck with high school students and a handful of adult students. My main question is, has anybody ever been to a competition like this before?

My teacher told me I'd be doing the metal straightening portion. He said I'd have to do some welding, plastic repair, fender straightening, and a written test. Idk if there's anything else but I'm kinda nervous I'll just look like a douche in front of the judges.

I competed in skills USA. I had to take a written test which i took gold on to move on to the state competition. I was very unprepared because it was hands on things that I have never done before plus a written test and I didn't place anything. I got to stay at a hotel though :santa:

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

Yeah man i'm in high school down in Florida and I went to regionals last year then on to state. I was there for pc repair and i'll tell you that at our regionals the judges were chill people and weren't industry professionals...now state had industry professionals as the judges and it was really intense. So I think you'll be fine lol. I did get 7th at state ^.^

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

Thats awesome. Theres two of us adult students competing in metal straightening, and one hs school student. Today we teamed up and were practicing together. My teacher broke it down for us. We'll do a written test, doing plug welds and some other joint weld, plastic repair, and 3 dents in a panel. One dent we have to straighten using just tools, one straighten then apply body fill and sand, and the other we have to heat shrink. It'd be nice to get some advice from any body techs on here

Edited by dyeagain15

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

I competed in BPA (Business Professionals of America) and kicked some serious ass, and so did my two best friends in my class. We moved onto State competition, I won again, but a death in the family kept me from going to Florida for National competition. Lots of fun, and not that hard at all. Colleges seemed to like it too!

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.

I competed in BPA (Business Professionals of America) and kicked some serious ass, and so did my two best friends in my class. We moved onto State competition, I won again, but a death in the family kept me from going to Florida for National competition. Lots of fun, and not that hard at all. Colleges seemed to like it too!

I'm told there will be shop owners attending too so my teacher told me I have to have a resume'. Which is cool because it seems like an easy hook-up to get a job. :good:

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

Right after the state competition, I had several companies come to see me in lab at school. So yeah...be on your A game bro. good luck!

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.