Sundown Audio

Dual Inputs on an Amplifier

Cashdollar2009

I thought it was just a common sense solution, but would like some correction if I were wrong.

In the DC Amps Internals thread, I spoke that I was only turned off by the DC 3.5k's single inputs. Nothing negative towards the product because I WANT THE DAMN THING. lol I will be in the market soon for a new amplifier to step up from my Crescendo 3kwp, and have put a good bit of time looking into the newer model Audioque 3500.1d's. They run dual inputs to achieve their rated 4,300wrms @ 14.4V. After looking at internals, I would assume the DC 3.5k has ballpark/similar ratings.

Another member asked me why I was even worried about something that would have little to no difference. SO my question would be, that why do people even go through the trouble sometimes of getting parts tooled to run more than one cable into a single input? Does it honestly not make a noticeable difference outside of the spl world?

When I bought my Crescendo, I was under the impression that even the 3,300wrms ratings were rough running single inputs... Pardon any ignorance here, but to my understanding, providing the amplifier with multiple runs would allow your electrical supply more area to allow current to flow in, helping the amplifier create those large amounts of power...

Thanks.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Dual inputs to a 3-5k amp would be good for an spl application where voltage drop is present. But having 5 pos inputs on a sundown 4500 like Getlikeme is just over the top. But he wanted that, so thats what he got.

Just remember that thick wire is for amperage, and with voltage drop comes amperage rise. so if you have one wire doing 400a because voltage dropped to 10v then watch the hell out. But if you have the same voltage and amperage on 2 or 3 wires then your pretty safe from frying wires and causing fires.

^The above situation is by no means ideal, but in some cases real^

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

It's hard to tell how much of a difference it really makes since we can't test the same amp with different inputs. I imagine that if you use two runs to a distro, and a short run to the amp, then you'll have nothing to worry about. I too am weary of big amps that only have one set of inputs, the big Brazilian amps are a good example.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

A lot of big, big amps have only 1 or 2 inputs. My 10k's only have 2 each.

They're designed to sit beside a battery bank or at least one helluva distro block. A 1ft long piece of 0 gauge will take ~500A all day, no worries.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Haven't seen you in a minute Boon. Glad to see you stopped by.

And thanks for all the inputs guys. I suppose some basic principles and cable carrying capacities had slipped me.

Well first the boards you are comparing is actual different. The DC is a 3500 board where as the AQ 3500.1 is Actually a 4200 board thus the 2 inputs. I really doubt on a small amp you will a huge gain, but there will be some. And unless its for competiton use the gain wont be auditable.

Okay, the board comment got me thinking a little too. You are correct that I did not take a side-by-side approach. So, in all honesty, for the price point, the AQ 3500.1 may as well be the better option for the pair of 12" XL's then if that's what I am looking for?

Generally spoken: The AQ 3500.1 will be more of a step up from the Crescendo 3kwp than the DC 3.5k would be.

Archived