I think I know, but I could be wrong

lately when I start my car up, sit at a light or turn the car off the engines rpms raise up pretty high. I don't know how high since I have no tach, but I'd guess close to 2k. It doesn't always do this, but it does it enough to where its affecting my gas mileage. I was told it was my idle air control valve, but after reading a few posts on here I'm begining to think not. I wanna make sure that I know what part to get. The idle air control valve aint cheap. Its a 93 Taurus GL

Could be a bad TPS also (throttle position sensor). Since it's a 93' I doubt either part would be hard to find in a junk yard for cheap. Have you even just tried turning the idle screw a few turns? Mine was up over 1000 after a long drive and it just moved while I was driving. Used a little sealant tape and set it, haven't had a problem since.

take off your iacv and try cleaning it with brakeparts/carb cleaner, put her back on ad reset your ecu (take off negative terminal for a minute or so) then start your car, and let it sit there and warm up, if your idle is still messed up, check the tps, then keep troubleshooting from there before spending tons and tons of money on something you might not need

apparently you dont get the fact that the subaru was wrapped around a pole. and by the status of your comment, im guessing your mouth is too.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic EX

Exterior: 55w 5k Headlights and 35w 3k JDM Fogs. Lowered. Sittin on steelies right now

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate P450.4

Batteries: Kinetik HC 800

Electrical: Big 3 in 1/0

Enclosure: n/a : (

Headunit: Clarion VZ409

Mids/Highs: Pheonix Gold Rsd6.5's in the Front Doors

Subwoofers: n/a : (

Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 and 4g

Future Upgrades: 20% tint all around, GC/Koni coilovers, body work (fml) lol

What Cma said basically. Also if you have a any kind of aftermarket intake (shortcam, cold air, etc.), the ecu needs to reset to account for the increased airflow. One of the most common problems is as Cma said, your iac valve could be dirty. It's normally located on the throttle body. Clean it real good, and do what Cma said about the battery. Let her sit for about 15 minutes without ANY accessories on.

Also, this could happen if ts extremely cold out with a cold air intake...I've had iffy idles in the cold with such.

I'm going to try cleaning the iac when I get off work today. I do have a cold air intake on it, didn't seem to affect the car when I first put it on. I've had the battery disconected a few times so the ecu should relize its there already.

I'm going to try cleaning the iac when I get off work today. I do have a cold air intake on it, didn't seem to affect the car when I first put it on. I've had the battery disconected a few times so the ecu should relize its there already.

well when you let your car sit there and idle, let it get to operating temperature, and just get out for 15 minutes and let it sit and idle. the computer needs to learn its fuel trims basically.

apparently you dont get the fact that the subaru was wrapped around a pole. and by the status of your comment, im guessing your mouth is too.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic EX

Exterior: 55w 5k Headlights and 35w 3k JDM Fogs. Lowered. Sittin on steelies right now

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate P450.4

Batteries: Kinetik HC 800

Electrical: Big 3 in 1/0

Enclosure: n/a : (

Headunit: Clarion VZ409

Mids/Highs: Pheonix Gold Rsd6.5's in the Front Doors

Subwoofers: n/a : (

Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 and 4g

Future Upgrades: 20% tint all around, GC/Koni coilovers, body work (fml) lol

If you have a compressor it would help to blow the iacv out really good to make sure its dry inside after you clean it. I cleaned mine on my 90 Mustang GT and it took most of the day before it would work right again because of the moisture in it. If all this fails to fix it find out how to do a base idle reset on your car. Google should lead you to it.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

it only takes a few second for the computer to re learn fuel trim and stuff. but also if you worry about fuel mileage and drive "nice" (like a grandma) just get on the highway and have a little fun. floor it a little and get off and back on for a couple miles. could clean it out. but its good to get the rpms up and clean all the junk out of it a little. but yea cleaning the iac would work also. if you tell a difference then you should probably get a new one.

I want to avoid getting a new one, at least for the time being. Shit cost like 70 bucks out here, I don't have that kinda money right now. Now tell me something, if ya filling up every two days you'd think there was a problem too.

Just tried cleaning it, sprayed carb cleaner inside. got it as dry as I could. Don't think a few small droplets would affect much. I turned the radio off and listened to the engine. Now the rpms are going up,down, up, down....think I'm looking at needing a new IAC.

Edited by hershy314