Attention Canadians, your internet is at stake.

I dont mean to be spamming and I hope this is not seen as such, my apologies if it is seen as such.

Anyways, onto my spiel (click this link if you want to skip it and already know what UBB is http://openmedia.ca/meter):

Recently the CRTC (Canadian Radio-televsion Telecommunications Commission) allowed Bell and Rogers to implement data caps and overage fees in their networks and apply these data caps (and retroactive the overage fees) to other ISP's who tap into their networks.

This would be fine if the data caps and overage fees were of a reasonable amount. They are not.

For example in the US Comcast attempted to apply data caps of 250GB and were shut down by the public very well. In Canada for a 5Mb package the data limit is 25GB in Ontario (60GB in Quebec for some reason).

Data overage fees are set at $2 PER GB.

I know not all packages will be like this and thankfully at least one ISP has somewhat stood-up against this (technically 2). Telus has stated publicly on TV that they will not enforce the data caps. If this holds true remains to be seen. Techsavvy has done what they could to keep the data caps from happening. Unfortunately the CRTC is full of old bell and rogers employees who are easily swayed.

What can we do?

I am going to be making up some posters and putting them up at high traffic areas around my home town. Hopefully it raises some outrage.

Openmedia.ca is running an email campaign. If you wish you add your name to it please do so, and pass on this link to the website. Its a quick and painless process to add your voice to the email campaign: http://openmedia.ca/meter

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

what will happen is the company that doesnt enforce it will get a shitload of new customers.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

what will happen is the company that doesnt enforce it will get a shitload of new customers.

They cant really "not" enforce it as Bell basically owns the backbone of the internet in Canada. Most ISP's rent their connection to bell which means bell imposes the fees to the ISP's. If they dont pay then Bell flips a switch and they get cut off.

We're looking at Telus here.. currently on Shaw, but its shitty service.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

When you've got a monopoly on something you can do whatever you want with it :(

Hammerdown... 1%

• 2 weeks later...

the companies say it's to make the usage more efficient- which is utter bullshit. Less usage and more ppl is same as a few ppl with high usage.

THEY WANT YOUR MONEY! END OF STORY. You all better protest your asses off if this gets pushed hard in the US!

Can you imagine tethering your laptop and needing to update system software- they charge you overage rates!!!! meaning you might pay out $30+ on top of your monthly bill.

KEEP IN MIND- the internet has NO BANDWIDTH LIMIT- the LIMIT they are 'trying' to save, is because the ISPs network can't handle the appropriate amount of users. They aren't up to par-

THIS IS ALL THE ISPs FAULT! China and Japan have 100M/Bs down speed, and no bandwidth problems.

DON"T LET BIG ISPs TAKE YOUR MONEY FOR NO REASON!

pretty sad when I can buy an unlimited cell phone data plan plus unlimited roaming from the states then bring it up to canada and use it for my internet for cheaper than I can get a normal internet cable/dsl package here in canada

Hammerdown... 1%

Yeah basically.

Comcast tried to do that down the in the states using 250gb caps and got shut down in a hurry. Bell/Shaw are attempting to implement 25 and 60gb caps..

Hammerdown... 1%

Just saw this thread...this is utter bullshit. What about users who have Netflix? Isnt that going to use your 25GB limit pretty damn fast? There's no way they can pass this in the US...if they even try us computer nerds will rise up and fight! haha

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.