Jump to content

running really *&^% hot


Recommended Posts

Posted

the rampage III extreme even came with an optional (loud as fuk) fan and larger heatsink

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Posted

Are you sure its the northbridge overheating? Could be that you have air bubbles in the H50 causing it to perform poorly.

For the record I dont recommend Asus motherboards. Between myself, friends, and acquaintances they owe us in excess of $15,000 in defective motherboards (Asus Z7S-WS instant-death syndrome) and have yet to do anything about the problem.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Posted

so far this board is amazing i have had no problems out of it i might just get a really nice air cooler

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Posted

so far this board is amazing i have had no problems out of it i might just get a really nice air cooler

I've been running a X58 P6T w/ a 920 since 12/09 at 3.6ghz on air (same case w/ a Thermaltake Big Typhoon). I have a C2D 400hz over on an Asus which is 3 years old, a P4 [email protected] on an Asus, a P4 [email protected] on a Asus, a [email protected] on an Asus, and a [email protected] on an Asus... They were all bought when the chips came out so the boards are ANCIENT. There is only one brand of board I won't buy and that's Gigabyte just because I have bad luck with them (I had two a year apart have the controllers die).

Anyways, are you running the latest BIOS? They list a bunch of stability issues some of which might be related to heat. Did you install the Asus apps? Make sure they aren't OC'n it because they do it wrong... For the record, 50c isn't shit and shouldn't be setting off an alarm, but I sit around 55-56 while gaming (still not fully loaded for this cpu). No load I sit around 46.

If it's not the BIOS or software (Asus bs) reseat the HSF. It's also possible that the alarm is just set too low. How do you know it's overheating? Does it start beeping?

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Posted

so far this board is amazing i have had no problems out of it i might just get a really nice air cooler

I've been running a X58 P6T w/ a 920 since 12/09 at 3.6ghz on air. I have a C2D 400hz over on an Asus which is 3 years old, a P4 [email protected] on an Asus, a P4 [email protected] on a Asus, a [email protected] on an Asus, and a [email protected] on an Asus... They were all bought when the chips came out so the boards are ANCIENT. There is only one brand of board I won't buy and that's Gigabyte just because I have bad luck with them (I had two a year apart have the controllers die).

Anyways, are you running the latest BIOS? They list a bunch of stability issues some of which might be related to heat. Did you install the Asus apps? Make sure they aren't OC'n it because they do it wrong... For the record, 50c isn't shit and shouldn't be setting off an alarm, but around 55-56 while gaming (still not fully loaded for this cpu). No load I sit around 46.

If it's not the BIOS or software (Asus bs) reseat the HSF. It's also possible that the alarm is just set too low. How do you know it's overheating? Does it start beeping?

it beeped went to blue screen then shut off

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Posted

so far this board is amazing i have had no problems out of it i might just get a really nice air cooler

I've been running a X58 P6T w/ a 920 since 12/09 at 3.6ghz on air. I have a C2D 400hz over on an Asus which is 3 years old, a P4 [email protected] on an Asus, a P4 [email protected] on a Asus, a [email protected] on an Asus, and a [email protected] on an Asus... They were all bought when the chips came out so the boards are ANCIENT. There is only one brand of board I won't buy and that's Gigabyte just because I have bad luck with them (I had two a year apart have the controllers die).

Anyways, are you running the latest BIOS? They list a bunch of stability issues some of which might be related to heat. Did you install the Asus apps? Make sure they aren't OC'n it because they do it wrong... For the record, 50c isn't shit and shouldn't be setting off an alarm, but around 55-56 while gaming (still not fully loaded for this cpu). No load I sit around 46.

If it's not the BIOS or software (Asus bs) reseat the HSF. It's also possible that the alarm is just set too low. How do you know it's overheating? Does it start beeping?

it beeped went to blue screen then shut off

I dunno if it's heat then, but if it is it's not the CPU. It will start beeping constantly and will take awhile to lock up (if ever) unless there is a major flaw. Keep something running to watch the heat, if it gets up around 55+ without running any games or anything it's your HSF or the grease has broken down. If it stays in the 40-50 range run a mem check and see what that says. Your ram could be taking a crap (hopefully not the board) or a drive.

Check the event logs and see what they said right before it locked up.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Posted

Id recommend Everest, great for monitoring temps. Also has a few great feature you could use to find out your problem. Oh forgot, when I got my heatsink for my AMD, I had to lap it cause for some reason it had many pits and wasnt making good contact with the thermal compound/processor. Had many blotches but it also allowed me to have it at a steady 3.4ghz with idle temps of 27c and max load of 35c on a 5400 black edition..

Posted

it could seriously be a PSU problem. Mine did the exact same thing. All that shutting off and one day it never came back on. Your case could be different. I know cooler master makes decent units, but that is always over looked because they cost so much. With the side off thing, I would get a small fan and blow it inside. If it stops shutting off, we know its a lack of ventilation.

2012 Honda Accord

Radio: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

Posted

It's possible it might be defective considering it should keep what you have a lot cooler than 50c and trying to go thermal on you, if it is under warranty try getting it replaced. But i would re-seat it with new thermal compound and see how it goes.

x2 thermal compound reapplication idea. too much or too little can have overheating side effects

its the same shit with trying to fix an xbox and can be a bitch to put just the right amount on. i always smother the cpu + gpu with thermal goop and then after 20 minutes i get a rrod.

mJzD9.png
Posted

Jinxed myself! Came down to my office this morning and my box was off. PSU took a crap I think, have to go get a new one at 10 and there is like 7 inches of snow with freezing rain booo!

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1071 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...