What is up with the mastering on new albums?

I've been listening to a lot of Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and Snoop's Doggystyle lately. Both albums have their respective strong points, but that's not what this thread is about. What I wanna know is, what the hell happened to good mastering? I've listened to both albums all the way through (couple times each) with some Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones, which are at least respectable. I've found that Kanye's album (Nov. 2010 I believe) is FULL of hisses, distorted bass, background loops being too loud for the vocals, and general amateur crap. Doggystyle (1993?) sounds way the hell better. Way cleaner, no obvious gaps in vocals (yes, it happens on Dark Twisted Fantasy) and just a crisp sound. Did the move from analog recording to digital really screw things over that much?

/rant

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

Yes

That Kanye album is terrible in all aspects....there is still good quality production out there but IMO you wont find it in mainstream music

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

It's not that I'm looking for well-mastered rap, I was just making comparison between new and old. Rap albums didn't always sound like shit. It's good to hear though that there are some newer albums that haven't fallen victim to the evils of digital recording.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

I have the old three 6 mafia world domaintion 2 CD and it sounds great. I can turn the volume higher than normal and it stays sounding good. I don't like now-a-day's MP3s and I haven't brought a newer artist's CD in a long time.

2012 Honda Accord

Radio: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

It's not that I'm looking for well-mastered rap, I was just making comparison between new and old. Rap albums didn't always sound like shit. It's good to hear though that there are some newer albums that haven't fallen victim to the evils of digital recording.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. rap has always been recorded like crap, it's just getting worse now. oh well haven't heard a good new rap song in a long long time

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Lil wayne does that all the time. His music and vocals are either too loud or to light.

04' Chevy Blazer

-Kenwood KIV-BT900, Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp's, Rockford P1653's, Subs... Ridin Stock-

your looking at rap to find a good recorded disk? lol try tool

This.

Hell If you wanna hear some really exceptional stuff, listen to (*gasp*) country music... Hell Eagles even have some really good mastering.

For the Eagles you need to get the digitally remastered though, I borrowed my mom's Hotel California original and there was barely any bass and need to be up high to sound decent, then a couple days later she got the digitally remastered and it was seriously night and day.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical