Horrible Gas Mileage, How Much to Replace...

There are many way why peoples get bad gas mileage. The first would be how you drive and second if the car have been maintain properly. You said the o2 sensor was going bad and have you change as yet. I wouldn't try changing it, unless you have the right tools and knows what you're doing otherwise you might mess it up.

You can just take a 15mm open end wrench and unscrew the o2 sensor from either the catalytic converter or from the exhaust manifolds. Then just unclip the harness that usually located within 8in of it and your done. It's a super easy fix

"i'd rather die like a man than live like a coward" quoted from Tupac

you asked what brand and all i want to tell is, if you havent done this already, to go to the dealer. DO NOT BUY A UNIVERSAL ONE!!!!!! i dont care what anyone says. if it does not plug into your factory wiring, then do not buy it. also find out which one it is, up stream or down stream of the cat. if the code says b1s1 that means bank one sensor one, which is the upstream. or bank 1 sensor 2, its the downstream

Also if replacing multiple o2's Usually on most cars, suv's the upstream and down streams can be identified by the shortness of the wiring when hooking back up! IE just match the wires.

Also most o2's come with anti seize already on the sensor thread. And changing them is really easy and cheap compared to dealer cost!

2-9518H

Saz4500

Sundown 100.4

Infinity Kappa Components

Mechman 270 Alt

2 XSPower D3100's

2 Runs 1/0

14 Cubes tuned to 30hz

you asked what brand and all i want to tell is, if you havent done this already, to go to the dealer. DO NOT BUY A UNIVERSAL ONE!!!!!! i dont care what anyone says. if it does not plug into your factory wiring, then do not buy it. also find out which one it is, up stream or down stream of the cat. if the code says b1s1 that means bank one sensor one, which is the upstream. or bank 1 sensor 2, its the downstream

I havnt done it yet, the code cleared and I felt more power and a better running engine as if it is mixing the air correctly, and other times it is sluggish, the dealership has them for like 120 a part, which is rediculous, He told me what company they get there stuff from, so I could just go with that, I changed my airfilter to a K&N today and will see how that helps

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

Alright, I am going to go with a mopar sensors, as that is oem for chrysler, the bottom one should be easy to change as its right under the car, but.... the upstream one is well, right behind the engine, so that will be a pain in the ass to change, I will have to mount the car up on jacks to get to it, I refuse to pay 120 for each sensor and aroundt eh same for install, coming to around 500 bucks out the door from the dealer, when I can pay 100 dollars for both sensors myself, and if I need to by jacks or soemthing, thats money I invest in something I can keep and reuse, plus I learn how to do something valueable with my vehicle, this should hopefully take care of my p0135 code saying bank 1 sensor 1 malfunction, it is around 108000 miles, so it lasted a long time considering :D oh and my K&N filter seemed to help, idk if it was the thing that helped, but I gained around 3mpg, it might be something related to it being warmer too

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

Do NOT solder the wire either it can add resistance if you dont do it 100% perfect and thatll throw a code too. but yeah if your o2 sensor is messed up your probably running real rich

Not only this but the Oxygen sensor actually draws in outside air in through the harness.

The reason being is that an O2 sensor is a galvanic battery.

It senses the voltage potential difference between the two sides of the element inside the sensor itself.

If you cut off the air supply, the O2 sensor fails to read properly and you effectively fixed nothing. :)

O21.JPG

well, I replaced the upstream o2 sensor, great thing I ordered the tool to get it out, or It would have been impossible, if you havn't seen where dodge put there upstream o2 sensor in a 99 dodge grand caravan flex fuel 3.3, then take a look sometime, its in the middle of the car, rear of the engine, all the way up, but only accessible from underneath, let me say was that a pain in the arse, anyways, I replaced it with a ngk o2 sensor, and if you look at the factor sensor, it says made by ntk in japan, which is the same company as ntk, so its the same brand. So far so good, I will have to see, but I cleared the computer code by resetting the computer, but I will have to see if its just the placebo effect. I went around about a 2 mile radius gunning it and flying around, as we are in a blizzard, was a lot of fun, was getting 14 mpg according the the computer, better then 8.9-11.9 mpg, but we will have to see, I did get a rear sensor also which I will replace when I get it. Instead of going to the dealer to replacing both for about 450ish, I did it for about 120, that has $70 for both o2 sensors, 11 dollars for removal too, and 40 for 6 ton jack stands :D + my time, which I learned a lot about. If you guys ever do this, remember to warm up the pipes that its in by running the car for a bit, I had the car running as I was using the rachet, and as soon as the first turn gave, I told my dad to turn it off, as the pipes get extremely hot, ha ha, hopefully it stays all good, I will find out I guess

Pioneer 4300DVD
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer

XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)

glad you saved some money. o2 sensors in my opinion are the most expensive POS part. its also to bad they are on every single car out there. well keep this updated id like to know what the out come of this is. thanks

Archived